Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-21T16:02:55+00:00

    June 16 release notes from Google: Fixed an issue that caused version 4.3.73.0 to crash for some users while syncing contacts. Version 4.3.77.0 reverts to the Contacts API to sync contacts.

    On my PC, GSWMSO auto updated (I had not gone back to 68 prior version). I re-enabled Contacts synching that I had previously disabled to prevent crashing .My contacts re-loaded and Outlook seems stable/no crashing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T15:47:59+00:00

    Good morning,

    Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I understand that you need assistance with your Outlook not working properly. Based on the information you have shared, in those 8 years of using GWSMO and then it suddenly keeps freezing reason would probably be that your email storage from your Gmail.com has already exceeded the Outlook default storage. To confirm, will you be able to provide a screenshot of your Gmail email storage?

    Hope this helps.

    Best Regards,

    JK

    Microsoft Community

    Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T15:47:45+00:00

    Hello Laura,

    Welcome to our Microsoft Community Forum!

    If Outlook isn’t syncing with Google, start by checking for any recent updates or changes that might be affecting compatibility. Ensure your internet connection is stable, as weak connectivity can cause sync issues. Restart your computer and Outlook to rule out temporary glitches. If the problem persists, try disabling add-ins in Outlook sometimes they interfere with syncing. If nothing works, contacting Google support might be necessary to see if the issue is on their end.

    If you have an existing Gmail account in your Outlook profile you may see the following error when trying to Send/Receive:

    "Task: ‘Synchronizing subscribed folders for ******@gmail.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E): ‘Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for ******@gmail.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP).'

    Outlook-Gmail sync error

    Please check if it is your case, if so, please refer to article and try the workaround mentioned in it:

    Unable to add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support

    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

    We wish you a wonderful day!

    Best wishes,

    carole | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more