Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T21:46:25+00:00

    Good news, Google has fixed the problem with a rollback to a previous version 4.3.68. All you have to do is uninstall the old version, use the following details and link to reload GWSMO. I did it this morning and all is back to normal. Be sure to pick the right version; 32 or 64 bit. Here’s the Google email.

    <br> --- <br><br><br><br> <br> --- <br> --- <br> --- <br> --- <br> Thanks for the response. Our engineering team has developed and rolled out an update to resolve it. The update can take up to 24 hours to fully propagate. After this period, your synchronization should be working correctly.<br><br>Please uninstall the latest version of the tool and you can download the previous version (4.3.68) of GWSMO at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/#<br><br>If you continue to experience issues after 24 hours, please do not hesitate to reply to this email. I'll be happy to follow up with you and provide further assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding.<br><br>If you have any further queries please reply back to this mail. I will be happy to assist you further. <br><br>Have a great day!<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>Santosh Kumar 13:30 - 22:30 IST (UTC+5:50) <br>Google Workspace Support. <br> --- <br> ---

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T07:27:20+00:00

    Great idea about Airplane mode!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T07:26:54+00:00

    Good to know they are working on a fix! It has taken up about 5 hours of a) trying to fix it and b) trying to work in native Gmail (can't stand it). Fingers crossed it comes out soon!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T18:05:43+00:00

    I agree - contacts seems to be an issue. I may try synching with Calendar, did you try that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments