How to Remove Copilot dropdown on Outlook Classic 2019

Anonymous
2025-06-18T13:13:48+00:00

I have just noticed that I now have a Copilot dropdown above the Ribbon on the right hand side in my Outlook Classic 2019 - I DO NOT WANT THIS RUBBISH IN MY OFFICE APPLICATIONS!!!!

How many more times are Microsoft going to thrust these stupid ideas down our throats 🤬

What I need to know is how to remove it.....Please someone help as there are no details on the internet, unless you are a 365 user, which I'm not

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Paul

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-09T21:46:26+00:00

    Hi all,

    I just confirmed that the fix is first available in the Beta Channel build 19101.20004, Update History for Office Beta Channel - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn. Unless there are backports the fix would get to production Current Channel in late September with Version 2508. I'll monitor how the fix progresses and update if it can go any sooner.

    If anyone wants the fix now you can switch to the Beta Channel. The easiest way to switch is to use a registry key, Use a registry command to install Microsoft 365 Insider on Windows devices - Microsoft 365 Insider | Microsoft Learn.

    1. Open a Command Prompt in Administrator context (Run as administrator)
    2. Type/paste the command below and press Enter:

    reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\officeupdate /v updatebranch /t REG_SZ /d BetaChannel

    1. From Outlook click File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-19T19:54:38+00:00

    None of the options works with Office Professional Plus 2021.

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks,

    Renato

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-07-10T16:29:47+00:00

    Just attempted this 'Return to Current Channel' on one of my systems. Forced an Update in Outlook, and it shows the Copilot AGAIN~

    'Migrate to Beta' advice earlier allowed me to remove Copilot from the Ribbon (using the RegEdit to BetaChannel) but returning to Current Channel allowed the Copilot to display again~

    NEITHER option is appropriate -- one of my machines is run by an Elderly lady who does NOT need a 'Forced Scraper' attached to her Ribbon~

    (* and I do NOT want to include THIS catastrophe in my Troubleshooting her system/LIFE going forward~!! *)

    ALL my systems are Perpetual 2019 -- the 'Returned to Copilot' system above is one of two Pro+ systems, my mother is on Home&Business

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-23T03:29:26+00:00

    I am working a similar issue with some reddit users. No clear picture yet of how the Copilot button is being implemented, what Office/Outlook versions it shows up in, or any way to get rid of it.

    Best anyone has found is to disable connected services. (As mentioned above). Sometime that makes it just a static icon. But it still doesn't go away.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Outlook/comments/1lem4c7/removing_copilot_dropdown_on_toolbar_outlook_2019/

    Beyond that, all I can suggest is you punch the "I have this same problem" button and subscribe to this Answers Thread. Then wait for a miracle (Microsoft actually provides a fix).

    Any brave soul out there who is having this problem who could do a ProcMon trace on Outlook startup and look for any possible clues? (Registry settings, DLL's loaded).

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojUFjE00prA&t=14s

    I can't do it, I don't have the Copilot button. My Outlook is too old.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-07-10T08:10:25+00:00

    The new settings after the update:

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments