Vertical scroll bar keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen

Anonymous
2025-05-24T23:57:43+00:00

The vertical scroll bar on the far right of my Outlook.com window keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen whenever I click on one of my folders or an email. Then I can't see the ribbon above my emails. I push the scroll bar back to the top, but as soon as I click on a folder again, it jumps back to the bottom of the screen. It happens whether my zoom is at 100% or higher. I tried the repair option and restarting. I contacted Outlook Support and after 40 minutes, they said it's how Outlook is designed and can't be fixed. But it wasn't always this way and just started jumping. I see there was a related issue that was fixed in Feb 2025: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/issue-with-the-inbox-scrolling-bar/ce34dda6-7f02-4222-8c44-62b2d2ea485d

I am using a laptop. The issue is present in Chrome and Edge.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-01T14:58:27+00:00

    I'll report this to the product team but I have no idea if they will fix it. If its a new issue, it may be fixed but I don't know if it's always worked like this. (My screens are more than large enough for the ads, and my regular account has a subscription, so no ads in it.)

    Diane- at least 14 other people are reporting the same problem. How do we get this escalated?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-01T14:55:03+00:00

    Same here. I started having this issue quite a while ago however it was very random and not very often.

    Refreshing the page would fix the issue when it happened.

    This definitely was not always like this.

    Outlook mail just seems to keep getting worse.

    JP 64- you reminded me that I also used to have this problem randomly and refreshing the page would sort it out as you mentioned. Then it started happening constantly (original post).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-01T13:25:58+00:00

    Same here. I started having this issue quite a while ago however it was very random and not very often.

    Refreshing the page would fix the issue when it happened.

    This definitely was not always like this.

    Outlook mail just seems to keep getting worse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T17:07:34+00:00

    Thanks for the screenshot. I was looking at the message list scrollbar, not the one on the far right.

    I see what you mean, the ad's size causes the page to scroll down, which hides the ribbon. It only does that if the browser window is not tall enough for the ad. Then the browser scrolls down to load the ad. It also scrolls if you scroll the message list.

    If the Browser is at least 810 pixels tall (with favorites, address bar, and title bar showing) and the Outlook page at least 700 pixels tall, it doesnt scroll when you change folders. The ads are 600 pixels tall.

    I'll report this to the product team but I have no idea if they will fix it. If its a new issue, it may be fixed but I don't know if it's always worked like this. (My screens are more than large enough for the ads, and my regular account has a subscription, so no ads in it.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T03:56:46+00:00

    Sorry, your screenshot didn't show up in the thread.

    That url is for Outlook on the web, not classic Outlook, so my previous instructions won't work, neither will the instructions in the link you posted. (This is the classic Outlook forum.)

    And no, that is not how Outlook on the web works.

    Does the scroll bar misbehave if you log into a private browser window?

    Did you clear the browser cache and cookies?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments