Vertical scroll bar keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen

Anonymous
2025-05-24T23:57:43+00:00

The vertical scroll bar on the far right of my Outlook.com window keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen whenever I click on one of my folders or an email. Then I can't see the ribbon above my emails. I push the scroll bar back to the top, but as soon as I click on a folder again, it jumps back to the bottom of the screen. It happens whether my zoom is at 100% or higher. I tried the repair option and restarting. I contacted Outlook Support and after 40 minutes, they said it's how Outlook is designed and can't be fixed. But it wasn't always this way and just started jumping. I see there was a related issue that was fixed in Feb 2025: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/issue-with-the-inbox-scrolling-bar/ce34dda6-7f02-4222-8c44-62b2d2ea485d

I am using a laptop. The issue is present in Chrome and Edge.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-15T17:10:59+00:00

    Microsoft - when is this issue going to be fixed?????? I have tried all the suggested solutions - no resolution for me.

    Microsoft will not figure it out because when it comes to updates its always the community who has to fix the mess, unless the coding is obviously flawed. This happened during an update I believe mid may or mid june.

    I believe 3 things may cause it. Mouse drivers, zoom, and display resolution. Maybe even font size or fonts.

    So, what I did to fix mine is put font at 12, and resolution to fit more on page or zoom out to fit more. Then the ribbon doesn't disappear. Until this mess is fixed, this might help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-30T02:05:28+00:00

    I was actually able to solve this on my laptop anyway.

    In my browser settings I reduced "page zoom" from 100% to 90%. The scroll bar to the far right is no longer there

    so no more losing the ribbon when deleting messages or switching between folders.

    Down side is the page and font is a little bit smaller.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-24T12:08:08+00:00

    I closed out of Outlook in hopes that it would be fixed. Re-launched Outlook. No change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T03:36:05+00:00

    That information didn't seem to help or wasn't relevant. And I don't know where registry keys are to update them.

    You asked if in browser or classic Outlook. I had attached a screen print of my mailbox with the url visible. I log in to https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/

    I normally used Chrome but the issue also exists when using Edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T01:46:06+00:00

    Hi, I'm Diane and I'm happy to help you today.

    Is this happening the browser or in classic Outlook?

    Microsoft has two known issues with scrolling - both are fixed though.

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/classic-ou...

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/classic-ou...

    You could try setting the registry keys in this article to see if it helps, but if not, please delete the keys.

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/outlook-20...

    Let me know how it goes, I'm here to help you further if needed.

    -- Diane

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments