Can no longer access my hotmail email account via IMAP

Anonymous
2024-01-25T14:52:12+00:00

I have my email client set up to access my hotmail account via IMAP, using the server name "imap-mail.outlook.com" and the smtp server name "smpt.office365.com". It worked without problems until today but today when I suddenly started getting the error message: "login to server imap-mail.outlook.com with username [my email address] has failed." - with the buttons: "Retry/Enter New Password/Cancel".

I can log in to my hotmail account via my browser using the same password that is being rejected when my email client tries to log in via IMAP.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Dave

NB - I don't use outlook but I couldn't find a usegroup for Hotmail so I'm posting herer.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-14T18:59:00+00:00

    You've got to use the IMAP for incoming and SMTP for outgoing server setups!

    However, in my WIN11 environment I had to delete, then re-create the e-mail accounts in order for the operation to work properly.

    IMAP server outlook.office365.com
    IMAP port 993
    IMAP encryption SSL/TLS
    Authentication Method OAuth2/Modern Auth
    SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com
    SMTP port 587
    SMTP encryption STARTTLS
    Authentication Method OAuth2/Modern Auth

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-02T08:06:56+00:00

    Hey, I am encountering the same issue. Reset my hotmail password and can log in via the browser, but struggling to log in on my Macbook.

    Grateful for your help! Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-24T11:43:50+00:00

    I have just renewed 365 & updated outlook, and now my @virginmedia.com will not show the sent emails, and my Gmail will not connect despite checking all the settings?!!?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-14T07:08:49+00:00

    You're a sophisticated user with specialised requirements, I'm just a simple soul who wants to see my messages in WLM. How difficult to fix can that be?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-07T09:33:34+00:00

    I am so frustrated. At the beginning of August 2024 my Hotmail/Outlook started playing up, with NO new emails coming through.

    There was only one email which popped up in late August.

    Any advice/solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments