Can no longer access my hotmail email account via IMAP

Anonymous
2024-01-25T14:52:12+00:00

I have my email client set up to access my hotmail account via IMAP, using the server name "imap-mail.outlook.com" and the smtp server name "smpt.office365.com". It worked without problems until today but today when I suddenly started getting the error message: "login to server imap-mail.outlook.com with username [my email address] has failed." - with the buttons: "Retry/Enter New Password/Cancel".

I can log in to my hotmail account via my browser using the same password that is being rejected when my email client tries to log in via IMAP.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Dave

NB - I don't use outlook but I couldn't find a usegroup for Hotmail so I'm posting herer.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T23:09:46+00:00

    Microsoft is forcing everyone to use outlook. My outlook on my mobile is fine yet Mozilla will not work. Answers the question.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-13T08:26:44+00:00

    For Thunderbird the solution is:

    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/microsoft-oauth-authentication-and-thunderbird-202

    In fact in two days, 16/11/2024, we would no longer be able to login if not done the above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-26T08:07:16+00:00

    Apart from the login authentification problem, I also get this message every time I start up WLM:

    "Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (annettegraham25) account. Header download for the 'Archive' folder did not complete. The operation was cancelled by the user.

    Server Response: LOGIN failed.

    Server: 'outlook.office365.com'

    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F

    Protocol: IMAP

    Port: 993

    Secure(SSL): Yes"

    It's always the 'Archive' folder. I've tried downloading all folders and trying unsuccessfuly to delete the folder.

    Regards,

    R

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-24T06:11:20+00:00

    Is Microsoft aware of the problem and are they doing anything to solve it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-04T14:08:41+00:00

    I tried using the server setting you suggested, but the reader still comes back with error that it can't verify the user and password. The problem seems to come and go on both of my Mac computers, but works on my iPhone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments