Can no longer access my hotmail email account via IMAP

Anonymous
2024-01-25T14:52:12+00:00

I have my email client set up to access my hotmail account via IMAP, using the server name "imap-mail.outlook.com" and the smtp server name "smpt.office365.com". It worked without problems until today but today when I suddenly started getting the error message: "login to server imap-mail.outlook.com with username [my email address] has failed." - with the buttons: "Retry/Enter New Password/Cancel".

I can log in to my hotmail account via my browser using the same password that is being rejected when my email client tries to log in via IMAP.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Dave

NB - I don't use outlook but I couldn't find a usegroup for Hotmail so I'm posting herer.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T11:58:33+00:00

    I have been having this exact problem like everyone in this thread.

    Outlook is prompting for the Username/Password randomly when Outlook is open.

    Trying the Username/Password combo finally works after about 5 attempts or so,.

    The Username/Password will then come up again randomly afterwards. 5 attempts or so and it lets you into the mailbox.

    While waiting for a Microsoft fix (hopefully), I tried those server names:

    imap-mail.live.com
    smtp-mail.live.com

    Without the actual SSL ports listed, I was not able to connect to these using TLS or SSL on port 993 (imap) and 587 (smtp).

    Either way, any updates are appreciated if they come around,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T07:36:23+00:00

    From not the forum crew:
    How about these?
    imap-mail.live.com
    smtp-mail.live.com

    They seem to have a more static ip than the imap-mail.outlook.com(smtp-mail.outlook.com) or outlook.office365.com(smtp.office365.com).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T06:52:16+00:00

    Seems resolved since late yesterday. At least I am no longer seeing these on my Thunderbird Portable after a week annoying error messages and many re-logins. Would Microsoft tell the reason?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-30T12:36:45+00:00

    I'm seeing exactly the same symptoms - for about a week now, upon opening Outlook, and randomly thereafter, I am being prompted for my email account password. Outlook client on Microsoft 365. Same email client configuration has been in place for years without issue, across multiple laptops and PCs. Interestingly I do not see the same issue in the Outlook app on my Google Pixel phone. I had suspected it to be a server-based issue, which this thread seems to confirm. So waiting for Microsoft to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more