Can no longer access my hotmail email account via IMAP

Anonymous
2024-01-25T14:52:12+00:00

I have my email client set up to access my hotmail account via IMAP, using the server name "imap-mail.outlook.com" and the smtp server name "smpt.office365.com". It worked without problems until today but today when I suddenly started getting the error message: "login to server imap-mail.outlook.com with username [my email address] has failed." - with the buttons: "Retry/Enter New Password/Cancel".

I can log in to my hotmail account via my browser using the same password that is being rejected when my email client tries to log in via IMAP.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Dave

NB - I don't use outlook but I couldn't find a usegroup for Hotmail so I'm posting herer.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-30T15:30:33+00:00

    Only Microsoft can help and they don't want to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T03:34:05+00:00

    does not work

    changed back to

    imap-mail.outlook.com and is now working again

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T01:24:31+00:00

    Sorry but can' speak on behalf of Microsoft. This is a public user-to-user support forum. We're users helping other users. We do not work for Microsoft and have no input on Microsoft's policies, procedures, or design decisions.

    Don't use Tbird so really can't comment on this particular issue.

    For information purposes, emClient is free to use if you don't have more then 2 email accounts

    eM Client with Microsoft Exchange https://www.emclient.com/em-with-microsoft-exchange

    Required Forum Disclaimer: The above link is a non-Microsoft website. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T14:38:15+00:00

    Further testing:

    MS Office Outlook 2021 with Outlook account configured as Exchange = same issue.

    Thunderbird in Windows 10 Outlook account configured as IMAP = same issue.

    The only app which does not report errors is Outlook on Android, in which server type and configuration cannot readily be determined.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T01:09:22+00:00

    Hi Karl

    My email client is Mozilla Thunderbird, which is where the screenshot is from. I've no idea how to use Exchange in Thunderbird. IMAP has been around for many years, ever since it took over from POP. I've never heard of Exchange as an email protocol for non-Microsoft email clients.

    I can send (and receive) emails, I just can't access my Sent folder.

    The server name I use for SMTP is smtp.office365.com.

    Any idea why Microsoft doesn't inform their hotmail email users when their server names change?

    Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments