How do I preview a wav file in the new outlook without having to download the file?

Anonymous
2024-01-19T13:42:02+00:00

When I switched from the old Outlook to the new Outlook, I no longer have the ability to preview voicemails sent as wav files. Instead, I am prompted to save to OneDrive or download the file.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-02T14:04:26+00:00

    Hi everyone. I'm a regular user like everyone else (well not entirely regular, I'm the IT Manager - one man band - here at my employer). I'm in the SAME boat as everyone else. We have a Mitel (used to be ShoreTel) phone system, and users can elect to receive voicemails as emails with WAV files attached. When I click on the WAV file attached for such a voicemail email, the New Outlook opens a Save As dialog window for me to save the file. If I click the little down arrow (upside down caret character) on the attachment, my options are "Save to OneDrive", "Copy", and "Save As". The default behavior for me seems to be "Save As".

    The file handler for WAV files actually worked here and there since they debuted this New Outlook version, but it hasn't for the last couple of months, and it's super discouraging. I found a workaround, however, and I want to know if it works for anyone else.

    Next chance you get, open the email in it's own window, and THEN single-click the attachment. Do you see a small "Downloads" box open on the main Outlook window, in the upper right-hand corner, just under the titlebar? I do, and it looks JUST like the one in Microsoft Edge when you download something. There, I see the attachment listed from the email open in it's own window. Under the name of the attachment is a blue "Open File" link; when you click the attachment name/the blue link, the file will open in the default viewer. This works, but unfortunately the separate email window remains open and is a pain to remember to close.

    The behavior I just described works just fine for me, but I STRONGLY wish it happened in the preview pane; in other words, I wish I didn't have to first open the email in it's own window. But anway, that's my work around. Does it work that way for you? Please let me know!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-21T00:39:15+00:00

    I found a solution for this today, worked for me when I tested it and my end user who requested a fix.

    I went to default app settings and changed the default for .wav to the legacy Windows media player. It was the newer version of media player before I changed it. After closing and reopening Outlook it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-26T19:15:54+00:00

    Such an inconvenience to HAVE to download and not just play the message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-14T17:04:13+00:00

    Same problem, only on "New" Outlook, trying to listen to wav files from our voicemail system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T16:25:48+00:00

    This was in Windows, not on IOS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments