Outlook office 2016 keeps asking for password for my personal email but not for my company email.

Anonymous
2024-01-17T11:30:24+00:00

Hi I have a problem where my personal email gets a login prompt after opening the outlook (2016 office version 16.0.5426.1000) and useing it for about 5 minutes. Hoewer my work email has no problems on the same app and the same PC. The difference is that my work email is company hosted and my personal is hosted on live.com by microsoft.

Both my accounts use microsoft exchange.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-28T08:54:27+00:00

    I've suffered the same problems for months with Outlook 2013 and just today found this resolution - No more prompts for password.

    - Remove cached credentials

    1. Close all Microsoft Office Programs
    2. Navigate to Control Panel
    3. In the search bar, type in “Credential Manager” and select it
    4. Select Windows Credentials
    5. Under Generic Credentials select the down arrow next to any instance of MicrosoftOffice15_Data:orgid:*your email address* and remove it If you are using Office 365, it may say Office 365 instead of Office15.
    6. Open Outlook and input your new credentials when prompted. Make sure you check the box to remember your credentials.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ron-6928 4,991 Reputation points
    2024-06-21T19:57:05+00:00

    FWIW https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/modern-authentication-methods-now-needed-to-continue-syncing-outlook-email-in-non-microsoft-email-apps-c5d65390-9676-4763-b41f-d7986499a90d

    Basic Authentication interim experience

    Until September 16th, users signing into Outlook.com through Basic Authentication may experience recurring password prompts in Outlook and other third-party email applications. This is a known issue. After September 16th, users attempting to connect their Microsoft accounts through Basic Authentication will fail to do so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-21T19:43:35+00:00

    I'll add myself to the list.

    I'm so tired of Word and Excel (the only 2 I use in my personal PC) asking for my credentials everytime I reboot/turn on my PC. And then all I see in this forum is "Go to Credendial Manager, delete all credentials related to..." and blablabla.

    I cannot be that difficult to have a piece of software that uses the login you already provided. Come on, it works in every other app coded by anyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-06T11:48:04+00:00

    I have started to trying to get assistance from a different forum. https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/outlook-now-cant-find-the-exchange-password/#post-2678425 They know a lot about the misdeeds of Microsoft and they might eventually report this to all of their users as a BIG problem.

    No idea how to start a class action lawsuit. I know that Outlook (New) does not have this password issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-31T16:20:33+00:00

    Thunderbird is a good shout, please let us know how it fares :)

    I've had some limited success with the following Registry tweaks I stumbled across on Reddit:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover

    If exists remove ExcludeExplicitO365EndPoint

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange

    AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover 1

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity

    EnableADAL 1

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity

    Version 1

    Reboot and test.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments