Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Thanks for that.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi I have a problem where my personal email gets a login prompt after opening the outlook (2016 office version 16.0.5426.1000) and useing it for about 5 minutes. Hoewer my work email has no problems on the same app and the same PC. The difference is that my work email is company hosted and my personal is hosted on live.com by microsoft.
Both my accounts use microsoft exchange.
Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for that.
POP3 & IMAP are now both legacy mail protocols which are directly responsible for the repeating password prompt issue.
Good news though! Microsoft has finally addressed this issue. The following article explains the situation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/modern-authentication-methods-now-needed-to-continue-syncing-outlook-email-in-non-microsoft-email-apps-c5d65390-9676-4763-b41f-d7986499a90d:
Essentially come September 2024, all previous Outlook clients (2019 & older) will no longer support outlook.com email addresses natively. The easiest option is now to use the "Outlook for Windows" app from the Microsoft Store, or alternatively upgrade to Outlook 2021 or Microsoft 365
I got that fed up with outlook asking for password I decided to change it to an IMAP account as per below.
This is on a Windows 7 machine using outlook 2013.
1/ Open up control panel
2/ Open Mail (32bit)
3/ Click on E-mail accounts
4/ Select new
5/ Select E-mail accounts (Next)
6/ Select Manual setup or additional server types (Next)
7/ Select POP or IMAP (Next)
8/ Input your name and email address
9/ Under account type select IMAP
10/ Incoming mail server type imap.outlook.com
11/ Outgoing mail server type smtp.outlook.com
12/ Fill in user name and password
13/ Click on more settings
14/ Under Outgoing server click on Requires authentication
15/ Under advanced
Incoming server (IMAP) type 993 and select SSL
Outgoing server (SMTP) type 587 and select TLS
Confirm above details before selecting OK
16/ On previous screen select next (Test account settings will probably be greyed out)
17/ Your account settings will be tested and you should receive 2 confirmation messages.
Delete your original email account (Exchange) if not already done this before starting.
Unfortunately, I think you'll find clearing the credentials is only a temporary solution at best.
I've done this on many occasions with varying success. Sometimes the issue returns immediately, even after clearing the MS Office creds & creating a new Outlook profile.
Have just logged into outlook today and it prompted me to put in password.
I pressed the cancel button and outlook downloaded all my new emails but in the bottom bar it still says "Need Password", I'm going to look into this further to see if I can find a resolution.
It’s ridiculous that after all the complaints about this that Microsoft has not produced a fix.
Unfortunately, I think you'll find clearing the credentials is only a temporary solution at best.
I've done this on many occasions with varying success. Sometimes the issue returns immediately, even after clearing the MS Office creds & creating a new Outlook profile.