Microsoft Enterprise Exchange Problems on iOS 16

Anonymous
2022-10-19T18:56:28+00:00

Since the update to iOS16 and the change to modern authentication, I cannot get my business Exchange account to work properly on the native iOS Mail app for any iPhone or iPad device.

This problem has persisted since iOS16.0 through 16.0.3 and even the forthcoming iOS 16.1 RC. Push mail, or Fetch mail, no longer works. And when in the Mail app for the iOS device, it either gets stuck on "Checking for Mail" or it eventually fails with an error saying “Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed”. It randomly will start fetching mail again, though not through Push or Fetch, only to get stuck at random intervals with "Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed."

I've tried deleting and re-adding the account, resetting all settings on the devices, and even reinstalling iOS 16 fresh and re-adding the accounts. All to no avail. We've checked the Azure AD for error messages during these failures, and we cannot find any errors.

Absent an iOS 16 bug that may or may not be addressed, is there anything I am missing to fix this? I do not want to use the Outlook app, because I manage multiple accounts through the Mail app and do not want to be using multiple apps just to manage mail.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for iOS | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-03T02:40:11+00:00

    If you can under the iPhone

    Settings

    Mail app

    Go under accounts and press the email orginzation and it might prompt you to relogin through Multi factor authentication. Thats how I was able to get exchange working on our iphones with iOS 16

    What services are you using to push Multifactor Authentication to your iPhones?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-31T20:26:57+00:00

    Same here on IPhone X with iOS 14.7, started today to receive message cannot get mail the connection the server failed. I assumed it was because of old ios and I updated to iOS 16.1:but still the same issue. My iPad on iOS 14.2 is still working fine ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-29T20:25:08+00:00

    I’m having similar problems. My notes only sync 25 notes and then is frozen.

    I have spent a few hours on the phone with apple support. Not much they can do except tell me to restore the phone and reinstall exchange!

    I have a brand new iPhone 14 pro max I can’t use!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-29T21:00:37+00:00

    That does not explain why the WEB version does t work for me either

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-26T00:27:38+00:00

    Thanks for the advice. I think that is indeed going to be the last resort and to just wait and see.

    I’ve tested this on iOS 15.5, 15.6, 15.7, 16.0, 16.1, and 16.2 beta today and the only versions that work just fine is iOS 15.6 and 15.7.

    Apple and Microsoft started switching to Modern auth and updated iOS 15.6 to support it: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/microsoft-and-apple-working-together-to-improve-exchange-online/ba-p/3513846 

    I guess that didn’t carry past 15.7 so we’re stuck for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments