Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T07:11:20+00:00
    1. Split from this thread.
    2. Merged with original thread.

    As much as I appreciate your help, it does not address my situation. Why would Microsoft allow me to delete an "alias" that permanently renders that e-mail unusable? What exactly do I do, can I do with the new alias? Absolutely nothing! That e-mail account is dead. Caput, gone. Logging in to that account with another alias creates no benefits after the original live.com "alias" is gone. Can there be an alias for a person without that person being alive?

    How many users of live.com, outlook.com, and hotmail.com actually are aware of this extremely destructive pitfall that Microsoft allows us to fall into. I encourage you and urge you to take some steps so that others do not fall into this problem. Do not allow people to delete a primary "alias" without several warning and explanation steps. Because it has an irreversible and damaging consequence. I cannot even get e-mail alerts when there is a new post here! I have to visit a few times a day to make sure I see any new replies. And hope that it is not another user in deep trouble.

    For the record, the definition of "alias": an assumed or additional name that a person (such as a criminal) sometimes uses

    I underline "additional" not "in place of."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-23T07:23:45+00:00

    An alias is an additional email address associated with your Microsoft account. An alias uses the same inbox, contact list, and account settings as your primary email address. You can sign in to your Microsoft account with any alias—they all use the same password.

    Microsoft lets you have multiple aliases associated with a single account, and you can choose which email address you send email from. Creating alternate addresses to use on websites or apps that force you to register can help keep your personal email address out of the hands of marketers and hackers.

    Your primary alias will be the email address that appears on your Microsoft devices. You can also sign in with any of your other aliases.

    However, if you remove an alias that's an email address from a Microsoft domain (like @hotmail.com, @live.com, @outlook.com, or @msn.com), you're permanently deleting the alias and it can't be associated with any Microsoft account again. If you're removing a primary alias, you'll need to choose another primary alias before it can be removed. If you remove an email address from a non-Microsoft domain (like @gmail.com), then it usually becomes immediately available to be added as an alias on another Microsoft account.

    Learn how to Add or remove an email alias and Change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-22T12:44:54+00:00

    There are a few things that are fundamentally wrong with these account systems.

    • First, they are unnecessarily but extraordinarily intertwined behind the scenes. This should be a lesson to all users of one of these accounts
    • In my live.com account, I see my address listed but cannot select it to be the main alias
    • Why are these called aliases anyway?
    • Why is the user allowed to add an alias to the alias and delete the main alias with no warning whatsoever?
    • Now, I am stuck with a live.com account alias that uses a totally unrelated e-mail address to log in
    • And, cannot send or receive e-mails
    • What good is that account to anyone?

    I hope others see the convoluted tentacles of ill-conceived parallel systems and avoid using them. Since I no longer check or can check this live.com e-mail address, it has long been removed from Thunderbird. And, please do not point to others for your system's faults. Thunderbird is not the cause of it, Microsoft has to rethink and untangle this mess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-22T03:12:18+00:00

    There is no way to just delete live.com e-mail account but keep hotmail.com account. They are basically the same account since Microsoft has merged Hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com into outlook.com. Existing Hotmail, Live, Outlook.com, and MSN addresses can't be added as aliases, and you can't add an alias that is already associated with another Microsoft account. Also, it isn't possible to create a new aliasusing @hotmail, @live.com, or @msn.com. If a Hotmail address is important to you, you need to sign out and create a new account.

    If you would not like to give up Thunderbird or your Microsoft e-mail account, then I'm afraid you will need to wait for Microsoft tech team to fix this unusual activity issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T18:17:13+00:00

    Can someone help me delete my live.com e-mail account but keep my hotmail.com account? Since I can no longer receive e-mails at live.com address, I will come here periodically and check to see if there is a reply. I have had it! I checked a few documents it refers to deleting my microsoft.com account which is not what I want, just delete my live.com e-mail address. If this is not possible, I will simply forget I ever had a live.com e-mail and live with the consequences.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments