Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T17:32:30+00:00

    Well, I have managed to mess up my live.com account so much that I cannot send or receive e-mail! That will probably solve my problem of unusual activities. That said, my account was messed up because I went to my microsoft.com account and added a new e-mail address to it. Then I deleted my live.com e-mail address from the microsoft.com account. Somehow, those accounts were linked and I cannot send or receive any mail at live.com address. Nor can I add live.com as a second e-mail address.

    This is one massive convoluted, unnecessarily complex, and intertwined system. I am glad that none of these is my primary e-mail address. There is no need to make them this tightly connected. But, I will probably no longer receive unusual activity notices!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T16:19:14+00:00

    I’m having the same issue daily emails saying unusual activity. I’ve changed my passwords multiple times. And ironically the IP address of the unusual activity is traced back to Microsoft. How can I stop these it’s getting very annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T14:36:15+00:00

    Thank you Yuhao Li for trying to help us. I ran a simple experiment, and here are the results:

    1. On the computer where I have Thunderbird installed, I ran the account login activity
    2. There was nothing unusual since yesterday
    3. I started Thunderbird and checked all my mails
    4. I refreshed the login activity page
    5. And, there was a new entry, the login came from an IPv6 and no IPv4 that resembled the 13.101.XXXX sequence
    6. I shut down Thunderbird and waited for 15 minutes and started it again, checking all mail accounts
    7. Again, the IPv6 number was reported

    That leads me to state that Thunderbird uses, when possible, IPv6 numbers or reports in that denomination. That said, I will not leave Thunderbird running on this computer when I switch to the other one.

    Trying to change my e-mail address has already caused me a great deal of grief on Disqus and I cannot use my account to post comments anywhere. The problem is not directly caused by live.com but it certainly triggered the need to switch accounts. I am now stuck! And, not happy at all.

    Thank you again for your efforts to find a solution to this matter.

    Cemal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T08:31:36+00:00

    Not all Thunderbird users are encountering this unusual activity issue, but it is worth a try.

    As for "I would very much like to get guidance on how to switch out of this account", it is just like removing e-mail accounts from Outlook, you can refer to this post in Thunderbird forum: How to delete an email account in Thunderbird? | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support

    Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft Web site. Microsoft does not provide any assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for any information you receive from linked third-party sites or any technology-related materials. Be wary of advertisements on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as Potentially Unwanted Products. Do thorough research on any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T01:36:06+00:00

    I do use Thunderbird on one computer for my live.com and hotmail.com accounts. While I get the unusual activity on my live.com account, the hotmail.com account is quiet as it can be, not a peep about any similar activity. I don't leave it on to keep checking mail and do not use that computer frequently as my other computer which runs Mailbird client.

    I am not sure if it is indeed Thunderbird.

    I would very much like to get guidance on how to switch out of this account. I tried at one place where I use it and got in a mess. Not the fault of live.com but the site. However, this is very annoying and I am not sure if it is affecting receiving mail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments