Outlook displays banner that says: Check your connection Open a browser to sign into ______.com and receive new emails

Anonymous
2020-08-06T16:24:56+00:00

When I click the button it opens a generic msn webpage. My company uses DSSO so everything is already signed in. Can't seem to find anyone else who has had this error. I have tried repairing office, recreating mail profile etc.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T15:38:57+00:00

    I am having the exact same issue, please someone smarter than me figure this out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-06T20:34:23+00:00

    Hi Brandon,

    May I have a screenshot of the banner in Outlook? I haven't encountered this situation in my test environment ever before. Meanwhile, may I know what DSSO stands for? To my knowledge, SSO stands for single sign-on. However there's no such feature/product/service component named DSSO in Microsoft. 

    Besides, if it's convenience, please also capture a screenshot of your Outlook client version info via File > Office Account > About Outlook for us.

    Regards,

    Marvin

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-06T03:46:25+00:00

    So I started getting this issue this morning. There was a brief message that flashed up about WiFi connection when I logged on, which I ignored since I'm using my docking station with wired ethernet, and everything was working fine.

    But thanks to Michael's message above, I investigated, to get rid of the annoying banner.

    Turned off the WiFi adapter (was connected to both) and the banner went away.

    Detached the network cable and turned WiFi back on, and indeed my connection was not live. My WiFi login credentials had in fact expired, and clicking on the banner which reappeared in Outlook, opened the browser which was intercepted by our WiFi login prompt page. Logged in, connected, and all was well again.

    Plugged ethernet cable back in (without turning off WiFi), and no banner message.

    So it seems that for whatever reason, Outlook likes to check all networks for access (or tried WiFi first, but didn't get rid of banner error when successfully syncing over the wired network afterwards).

    Of course, the browser was smarter and loaded the web page via whatever connection it could, never giving me the chance to reconnect the WiFi.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T13:43:58+00:00
    1. Close all open windows
    2. Open a command prompt
    3. type "ipconfig /flushdns"

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-01T16:01:26+00:00

    I had this same issue after my network gave out and reconnected.
    However for me it was solved after I noticed that Outlook displayed the text "all folders are up to date" "need password" on the right bottom in the grey area.
    After clicking it, Outlook connected (without putting in my password or a code mind you) and the banner was gone.

    I suspect the link in the banner is for authentication purposes. However it doesn't seem to properly load besides a popup asking permission for Outlook to configure server settings.

    So if you have this problem I suggest checking if Outlook is asking you for the password in the right hand bottom corner.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments