Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Hi, I had a similar problem where I would try to "preview" a pdf in my Outlook web app (not the desktop version) and the PDF would not show in the preview, I had to download it and open it separately. I finally found a solution, it was to do with my browser settings. I am using Firefox for my browser, so these are the steps for that browser, but if you're using a different browser try something similar.
1 - go to your browser and click on the Menu settings button
2 - go to Options
3 - in the General tab, scroll down till you see Applications
4 - when you see your PDF tool there (either Adobe or Nuance or similar), click on the drop-down arrow on the right-hand side of it, and select "Preview in Firefox"
5 - then close the browser down, and re-open it
6 - then try previewing a pdf in your Outlook web app and see if it works. For me, this fixed my problem.
7 - if it still doesn't work, try going in to your Outlook and looking through your settings there as well.
Good luck!