Birthdays Disappearing From Outlook.com Calendar

Anonymous
2015-01-06T01:57:11+00:00

I have been having the same trouble with the Outlook.com birthday calendar that many users have reported.  I just wanted to add my findings to the discussion.  Here are some details that might be helpful

  1. All the contacts listed in "People" for which I know their birthday have their birthday listed as Other Information.  I only use month and day, not the year as I don't ask for this. (some people are sensitive about their age)
  2. In the past this has worked fine.
  3. Recently, about 2 months ago, I noted that birthdays had disappeared from the calendar.  I added back the missing birthdays and verified these against an address book I have for a card site I subscribe too.  Both the People listing and my card Address book were identical for people with birthdays
  4. I again discovered a problem beginning with January 2015.  All of the previous entries for that month were now gone!
  5. I checked through all months of the calendar and 37 of 47 birthday entries were now missing.
  6. I decided to re-enter every birthday manually, using by Clicking on "New" in the calendar display and selection "Birthday" from the drop down dialogue box.
  7. I manually re-entered all 47 birthdays that way.
  8. I verified each month after this was done and every birthday I entered was displayed.
  9. About an hour later I checked again and all the birthdays were there.
  10. Five hours later only 10 of the birthdays displayed.

11.I went back to the People option and decided to see what would happen if I elected to clean up contacts.

  1. For each of the people that I had manually entered a birthday, a second contact appeared in my People list, with only the name and the birthday.
  2. I elected not to clean up the contact list at this time
  3. I refreshed the birthday calendar three times.  On the second attempt to refresh, I removed the calendar item.  I was originally using the little birthday cake.
  4. The refresh had absolutely no effect on the calendar display.
  5. I am going to look back tomorrow and if the birthdays are still not displayed I will delete the birthday calendar and in three days I will recreate it to see if any of the birthdays sync from my people's list.  Before I do that I will delete the duplicate contact created by the manual addition of the birthdays that I did today.
  6. I only offer this information in an attempt to solve this bug.  Its obvious from the posts that many people are pretty ticked off by the lack of action in resolving this issue.
  7. Its rather sad that you can't rely on the outloook.com calendar any more.  If there has been a solution, I  would appreciate knowing it.
  8. FYI I do not use any social networking sites, so I have no other birthday data stored anywhere else.
Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Calendar

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T04:26:00+00:00

    Hi Ataemonus,

    I kept getting a confusing message in my e-mail account the appears to be addressed to me from you, but the contents look like Ravinath P is trying to send you a private message.  Don't know what the screw up is.  I see you were having some trouble.  I was advised that there was a problem with a screen shot I attached to a pvt message, so I directed Ravinath to look at the post in the public forum where I pasted the screenshot in a reply to Brian Tillman.  Its quite visible there.  Hang in there.  I think we have gotten their attention.  -- BruceZ.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T02:15:01+00:00

    Hi Altaemonus,

    I apologize for the delay in response.

    I have sent you a Private Message requesting for few details, please reply with the necessary details.

    To see the Private Message, follow these steps

    Please log on to answers website and provide us the details in the private message itself.

    You can view the private message section by

    (1) Clicking the red link above your post

    or

    (2) Clicking on   link.

    Thank you.

    You have to be joking, or at least I hope this is funny for somebody because it's freaking sad for anyone who bother to read.

    Here, trying to reply the private message gets me this, every single time.

    PS. Because of the stupid automatic resizing of all images done by the wonderful support forum, I should clarify, the Ooops! Something went wrong. Please try again. error is all I get when trying to reply the PM. No sh!t Sherlock something went wrong, this entire forum it seems and pretty much most Microsoft software products in the past 5 years or so. The please try again part must be meant for the software engineers who created these wonders of fail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T00:57:15+00:00

    I did get a response.  A technician is trying to reproduce the problem.  I'll pass on anything else I receive.

    Hello Brian

    Today, I decided to use one of my other outlook,com e-mail accounts to create a calendar.  I never use this account to send out e-mails to any contacts.  I send certain e-mails of mine to this account when I do multiple mailings under the BCC option from my main account.  It sort of acts as an archive for these e-mails and all I do in this account is put the 'received' mail into a set of folders.

    Since I don't use this account to send out e-mails the People Hub was not populated.  So a few days ago I entered 47 contacts into the People Hub of this other account.  All these people had birthday info.  Last night I added 4 remaining names to bring the total to 53, which is exactly the same number of people with birthdays in my regular account.  I verified that all names were there.  I checked the clean-up contacts and the names that appear there are not duplicates,  They are the same people who just share an e-mail address, so no clean up was necessary.  Today, I again verified the number of people in the account and called up each record to see that there were no outlook duplicates.  I had found this problem earlier in my regular account. When you clicked on some names, under their picture image in the right hand pane, there would be more than one "outlook" notation.  In the case of this test account, all records looked Normal.

    I accessed this account again today at 18:41.  The I immediately clicked on the calendar hub.  Although I had never created a calendar in this hub before, one displayed.  There were no birthdays showing.  I then clicked on the cog wheel, and options in the dialogue box.  The options page showed 3 calendars Bruce, Birthday, and Holidays.  I exited and went back to the calendar page.  No birthdays were listed.  I then went back to the Options page and changed the name of Bruce to Test and saved the change.  I exited options and went back to the calendar, now all 53 birthdays were showing.

    I clicked on the cog again, into options and then clicked on the birthday calendar. I changed the colour of the birthday calendar,  The refresh details were January 13- 18:41.  The same time I had accessed the calendar as noted in the preceding paragraph. 

    I have checked the test calendar twice more.  Still all 53 birthdays are displayed.  NONE of the contacts have been placed into any groups in the test account.  The entries in the People Hub only contain their names, e-mail addresses and birth MONTH and DAY (no year) same as my regular account.

    At 18:59, I went back to my regular account and accessed one of my groups from the People Hub. This Group has 4 members, all with birthdays and all of which have been displaying correctly for the last 3 days.  When I accessed the group I clicked on Delete.  So I deleted the group in its entirety without touching any of the individual records of the people in the group.  I went back and looked at the calendar.  Those birthdays were still displaying in the calendar as of 19:15.  I will check later tonight and tomorrow morning to see if anything has happened to their birthdays in my regular calendar.  I will also be checking the test calendar to see if anything strange happens there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2015-01-13T18:46:32+00:00

    I did get a response.  A technician is trying to reproduce the problem.  I'll pass on anything else I receive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-13T17:46:01+00:00

    Hi Altaemonus,

    I apologize for the delay in response.

    I have sent you a Private Message requesting for few details, please reply with the necessary details.

    To see the Private Message, follow these steps

    Please log on to answers website and provide us the details in the private message itself.

    You can view the private message section by

    (1) Clicking the red link above your post

    or

    (2) Clicking on   link.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments