Scheduling and managing events using Outlook.com calendar
I am also having this problem of birthdays disappearing. Very frustrating.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have been having the same trouble with the Outlook.com birthday calendar that many users have reported. I just wanted to add my findings to the discussion. Here are some details that might be helpful
11.I went back to the People option and decided to see what would happen if I elected to clean up contacts.
Scheduling and managing events using Outlook.com calendar
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I am also having this problem of birthdays disappearing. Very frustrating.
Hi Bruce,
I apologize for the delay in response.
As Alex has mentioned in your discussion post, I have sent you a Private Message to gather details, please provide us the information which will help us to solve the issue in a faster way.
To see the Private Message, follow these steps
Please log on to answers website and provide us the details in the private message itself.
You can view the private message section by
(1) Clicking the red link above your post
or
(2) Clicking on link.
Thank you.
Thursday January 15 10:06 EST
Manipulated Calendar: 23 of 53 Birthdays Continue to be missing. Refresh Details equivalent to Open Date and Time of Calendar.
Test Calendar: ALL 53 Birthdays continue to display normally. Refresh Details equivalent to Open Date and Time of Calendar.
No additional testing for calendar discrepancies planned.
Future Monitoring of the above will only be posted at the thread "Birthday Calendar Incidents"
I did get a response. A technician is trying to reproduce the problem. I'll pass on anything else I receive.
I may not be able to explain it all, but I sure can explain some of it. After extensive testing with my birthday calendar, I have found that every time you touch a People Hub record that has birthday information, you will in effect cause the birthday to disappear from your birthday calendar.
I performed the following tests on my calendar for people who had a birthday in their People Hub record:
Before you conduct these tests for yourself do the following:
To Perform the tests do the following:
Now I don’t use social media or skype so I don’t know what effect those programs might have on your People hub records. I could not test for that.
I was also able to bring people back by doing a lot of clean up in my Hub Files. At one point I got all 52 of them back, but I don’t know what influence the Refresh Now option had on that process. That was early on in my testing, and the steps I used were not well controlled. You can read my post about those efforts
By doing the above tests I was able to ‘vanish’ 13 more records from my calendar. Add those to the 8 that I had already ‘vanished’ and that left 21 of 53 gone.
I also created a brand new calendar in another outlook.com account. The People Hub of that account was empty and I added each record with a birthday as if it were a new contact. I included the birthday information at the time I was adding the record. That Calendar continues to remain stable with all 53 names being displayed in the birthday calendar.
I don’t know what causes the calendar to refresh on its own. I have watched it and there might be some type of auto-refresh at specific intervals. You want to make sure when you do your tests, that you are doing them after the Last Refreshed Date shown in the settings page and that you manually refresh by hitting refresh now when you want to see the names disappear. Until you refresh manually or the system does it auto refresh, the names you have touched will show on the calendar.
Similarly if you add a birthday to a person who does not have one, The calendar will not show the birthday until you do the refresh.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone can repeat these results in their calendars as that should give the Microsoft engineers an opportunity to design a testing plan of their own.
After about 20 tries, it actually worked. I replied Ravinath's PM in the end.
If this support forum doesn't work as it should, it's no wonder the calendar has problems. In fact, I am amazed I even got this far, on the internet and all that, using a MS product :)
What the heck happened, I don't know, as most MS products of old were rock solid.
PS. To post this message I had to refresh the page like 3 times, as it simply would not do anything when clicking the submit button. The wonders of the MS support forum on IE11 under Windows 8.1, I guess.