Can't leave an org because my account is locked

Anonymous
2023-06-22T08:36:53+00:00

A while ago, I worked with another company and I was invited to a Team on their tenant as a guest. Their tenant got added to the Organizations drop-down and I could switch over to view that Team.

That company then went out of business more than a year ago, but I still see it in my list of Organizations. I tried to tidy up my orgs list by leaving, but it prompts me to login to that tenant and then tells me that my account is locked. I can't get the account unlocked because the company is no longer operating. Is there a way to remove myself when I can't login? Or just hide the org from the list?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-16T11:29:38+00:00

    This is absolute nonsense. I cannot have rouge accounts linked to my account forever. There has to be a solution delivered for this. To simply hide it is not a solution, it is a workaround.

    At bare minimum our admin should be able to do it if the admin of that company cannot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-13T03:49:39+00:00

    Same issue here. I am unable to leave an organization as a guest and I no longer collaborate with them. This NEEDS to be fixed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-16T16:12:28+00:00

    It can't be a "flaw" if it's gone 3 years without a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-12T13:52:46+00:00

    Unfortunately, the problem still exists in March 2025. I receive a different 2-factor authentication with my email address, for which I have administration rights. I was able to reset the 2-factor authentication for logging into my admin interface. When I try to leave the organisation, I still get another 2-factor authentication, which no longer works. However, I cannot leave the organisation without this. This is a major design flaw in rights management and apparently Microsoft has still not found a solution to this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T20:38:14+00:00

    It's truly amazing that 2 years after the OP this is still an issue. I'm trying to remove an old account from teams to which I no longer have access. The account is for a company that no-longer exists. It should be a user choice to disconnect any account from their teams profile.

    The product team really need to get this issues resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments