How do I get rid of the NEW tag on the MS Teams icon? (OS X / Mac)

Anonymous
2023-10-18T17:05:08+00:00

I've just installed the new "Teams (for school /work)" (which is a really ugly application name, but I digress).

The icon has this big blue "NEW" graphic on it. It did not go away after opening and closing a few times. How do I remove it?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T10:30:15+00:00

I think the Microsoft software team have now lost it completely. I now have outlook and teams icons in my taskbar, complete with the "new" label written on them, plus my old icons to the older versions. Complete mess.

When will they remove the "new" label? Maybe the next version will have a "newer" label.

Plus the new icon not showing status is a real downgrade.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:23:35+00:00

Select "Microsoft Teams classic.app" in Finder->Get Info, Copy icon.

Select "Microsoft Teams (work or school).app" in Finder->Get Info, Paste icon.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-09T13:49:36+00:00

    I hate the little "new" tag on the icon, too. I keep thinking it means I have new messages.

    The next tag will be "newer," then, "newest," then, "really new"...LOL

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-05T22:13:04+00:00

    Just to add to this, in "Get Info" you have to click on the icon itself (the top one, not the preview one; it should get a border when you do), and then you can go to the edit menu and copy (or use keyboard shortcuts).

    You might want to use Edit > Show Clipboard after you copy, to ensure that it copied (you'll see the icon there).

    After you've done that, click (again) on the icon, but on the "Get Info" for the "work or school" version, and then paste.

    NOTE: You'll have to close and reopen teams before you'll see the icon change.

    P.S. What a monumentally terrible icon choice by Microsoft!!! I can just imagine some idiot there thinking "I have an idea! Let's create an icon that makes it look like you constantly have new notifications ... even when you don't! I'm a genius!"

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-24T09:20:34+00:00

    The bit I cant quite work out at the moment, is that people used to stick to Microsoft products not because they are the best, but because they are the ones everyone else tends to use.

    But now, Microsoft seem to be actively encouraging people to use Beta versions, but instead they call them "New". Should a typical user risk using a new version, in the same way as risking using a beta version?

    I also find settings such as "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" confusing. Should I, shouldn't I. Its always nice to try something new but not if it breaks something I rely on.

    If I worked purely in IT, working on a help desk, supporting Windows must be an absolute nightmare. If everyone is running slightly different version of the software, with menus/settings etc. moving around all over the place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments