How do I get rid of the NEW tag on the MS Teams icon? (OS X / Mac)

Anonymous
2023-10-18T17:05:08+00:00

I've just installed the new "Teams (for school /work)" (which is a really ugly application name, but I digress).

The icon has this big blue "NEW" graphic on it. It did not go away after opening and closing a few times. How do I remove it?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T10:30:15+00:00

I think the Microsoft software team have now lost it completely. I now have outlook and teams icons in my taskbar, complete with the "new" label written on them, plus my old icons to the older versions. Complete mess.

When will they remove the "new" label? Maybe the next version will have a "newer" label.

Plus the new icon not showing status is a real downgrade.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:23:35+00:00

Select "Microsoft Teams classic.app" in Finder->Get Info, Copy icon.

Select "Microsoft Teams (work or school).app" in Finder->Get Info, Paste icon.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-14T16:24:55+00:00

    I switched back, I need my notifications and status to actually be visible on the task bar like it is supposed to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-24T07:09:03+00:00

    There is a toggle switch at the top of the page in either version to flip between the two. If you are in the new version it is here, click the three dots next to your company or school name, if you are in the classic it is permanently visible top left of your screen.

    I get that this defeats the Microsoft objective somewhat, and flipping back means I won't have the major differences between the two versions, which are time saved in switching accounts / loading pages / starting the app / etc, plus less memory used on the machine. However, with the memory saving being 50% of a very small amount of memory being used to start with, and the time savings being a few seconds per operation, I will not be missing out on much in my opinion.

    This page tells you all the differences, and there is an easy video around 25% of the way down the page that quantifies them.

    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/introducing-the-new-microsoft-teams-now-in-preview/ba-p/3774406#:~:text=With%20the%20new%20Teams%20app,up%20to%2050%25%20less%20memory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. EmilyS_726 29,990 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-10-18T21:27:33+00:00

    Posting complaints on a community forum to peer users won't effectively convey your message. I recommend using the Teams Feedback feature to voice this if you feel this strongly about the label, so it gets to the product team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments