How do I get rid of the NEW tag on the MS Teams icon? (OS X / Mac)

Anonymous
2023-10-18T17:05:08+00:00

I've just installed the new "Teams (for school /work)" (which is a really ugly application name, but I digress).

The icon has this big blue "NEW" graphic on it. It did not go away after opening and closing a few times. How do I remove it?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T10:30:15+00:00

I think the Microsoft software team have now lost it completely. I now have outlook and teams icons in my taskbar, complete with the "new" label written on them, plus my old icons to the older versions. Complete mess.

When will they remove the "new" label? Maybe the next version will have a "newer" label.

Plus the new icon not showing status is a real downgrade.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:23:35+00:00

Select "Microsoft Teams classic.app" in Finder->Get Info, Copy icon.

Select "Microsoft Teams (work or school).app" in Finder->Get Info, Paste icon.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-22T14:58:30+00:00

    I am getting really, really fed up with the "Do you want to try the new teams?" messages.

    If Microsoft thinks its so great then why don't they just release it, remove the "new" label, then fix it so it works as well or even better than the old one. If its not ready for release then don't ask me every day if I want to try it.

    This is a work PC, why should I do beta testing for Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T20:33:22+00:00

    I was just wondering if I stick with the New version, would I automatically get any new New versions, or would I be stuck with an old New version? They could rename the old one to Classic, the new one to not so New, then the next one to Newest.

    Or they could go back to the old system of using version numbers that increment.

    I also often do wonder if Microsoft Software Engineers ever use their own products. I’m sure if they did they would try harder to make things better than worse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. EmilyS_726 29,990 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-10-18T17:42:10+00:00

    Hello, this "new" label is by design and it is not something that's removable. Sorry. It is implemented to differentiate between the new and old Teams.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments