Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-14T07:28:05+00:00

    Hi Amro,

    Thanks for your reply. How does that make sense? In Zoom, we were able to set up a meeting with automatic recording to the cloud AND allow users to bypass a lobby. It would be saved to the Organizer's cloud storage.

    If I am the Owner of a meeting, I should own all of the meeting options for it. Is this something you can pitch to your team to be fixed in the future? It really doesn't make any sense (and is not mentioned in the Meeting Options) that an attendee would have the recording and not the meeting organizer who is the only person able to even activate the record function.

    Zoom figured it out so I can imagine MSFT should be able to too.

    Thanks,

    Christina

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-03T20:10:21+00:00

    This behavior is bass akwards. The meeting owner should be the owner of the recording regardless of who hits the record button. further, the meeting organizer should be able to set configs as a default that can be over-ridden on a meeting per meeting basis impacting:

    • can the meeting be recorded at all
    • who can start/stop the recording
    • to whom a link to the recording should be pushed post-meeting automatically
    • where that meeting will be archived

    By the way, meeting owners should also be the only ones who can add attendees... the non standard "forward invite" creates havoc for rescheduled/canceled meetings and is the social equiv of bringing your someone that every one hates to a party they weren't invited to... and they probably hate them because they are always the first to hit the record button and hijack the meeting recording from the host!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-26T21:44:24+00:00

    We have the exact same problem here.

    Let me further complicate the issue by saying that if someone creates the meeting 'Sending-As' a shared mailbox, it'll allow only that Shared mailbox to access and edit the recording/transcript, but not the actual person that sent it.

    Microsoft, this is BROKEN and you have about 600 highly irritated people at my organization right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-21T08:30:17+00:00

    I agree with everyone above.
    This doesn't make any logical sense, and is counterintuitive. It feels like designers hadn't considered at all where recordings would be stored.

    If the video contains anything sensitive, or could, it's dangerous.

    The meeting organiser would immediately lose control of the content from the second the recording has occurred.

    We use Teams for regular weekly meeting that gets recorded for those who can't attend. I had wanted to put the recordings up on SharePoint for everyone to be able to review - I thought if I could just work out where they were, I could move them to one location using Power Automate.
    But even though this is a weekly, recurring meeting, the recordings are distributed all over the place, in the OneDrive of one of the 100 people who happened to sign in first. Totally nonsensical.

    The whole point of setting this all up was to be able to automate it, but somehow it seems like the only way to manage this situation is to physically move each recording every week into the SharePoint folder.... once you've worked out where it is, of course.
    Microsoft, why is what should be such a simple task so unnecessarily and inexplicably difficult?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-14T00:43:31+00:00

    here is a tip that only work if you are certain you will attend the meeting,

    change the lobby behaviour. Change Who can bypass the lobby to ‘Only me’. All attendees will wait in a lobby till you join the meeting and admit everyone from the lobby. The meeting will start recording automatically from the time that you join. The meeting recording will then be saved into your OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments