Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-14T07:46:43+00:00

    Hello Christina,
    thank you for your Response.
    I apologize for the inconvenience.
    I will see what can i do to report your Suggestion as i'm an independent advisor.

    In the meantime i want to mention that the organiser is assigned edit permissions if the recording was auto-started by an attendee. This means the organiser can download the recording and share it even though the file is not in the organiser’s OneDrive.
    Best Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T19:21:50+00:00

    Microsoft, please fix this and stop giving us good/important features without the right controls and please stop making us have to keep posting "here is a possible workaround for a broken/bad feature")

    Turn on Start Recording Automatically followed by simple choice of who owns the recording (Me the organizer, invited presenter, first to join)

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-15T13:13:56+00:00

    Hi ChristinaN15, Thanks for raising this issue here. Yes, we too today faced this shocking issue, which is quite absurd on the way it works. It has to be categorized not as a bug but ultimate stupidity of those who designed its behaviour. On what logic the so-called experts of Microsoft decided to make the first attended as the owner of the recording not even the organizer or the Admin of the team or even the administrator. It is a huge security lapse first to stupidly allow the logic of First attendee is the Owner of the recording, and then with no permission shares the video to everyone of the attendees. Most aburd ever seen. Not sure why Microsoft is slowly making one lose the confidence on its product. Now not sure how to stop the auto sharing of the recording and how to stop this stupid Microsoft's logic of "First attendee becomes the owner of the recording". Seems till today even after months of your post still Microsoft as part of its custom never bothered or cared to fix this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-29T17:34:44+00:00

    Nthing this request. I need to be able to control where recordings end up.

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-05-10T15:14:03+00:00

    I found some people are getting around the issue by forcing people to wait in the lobby until the organizer starts the meeting. That makes sure you are the first one in the meeting. Not sure if that will work in your situation, but I am about to give it a try. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments