Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T10:14:09+00:00

    There's an open feature request for this - I encourage you all to up-vote and comment on this so that Microsoft might eventually listen!

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/710b572a-524e-ee11-a81c-6045bdbbbc93

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T19:55:02+00:00

    Adding my organization to the list that was bitten by this. We had a meeting set to auto-record and then attended solely by a Teams Meeting Room and attendees outside of our organization.

    Not only did the organizer not receive the recording in their own OneDrive, since nobody within our domain other than the TMR joined, Teams was not able to save the video anywhere. As a result, the meeting was never uploaded and deleted after only 20 days. Needless to say, a month after the meeting took place this person needed to access the recording they assumed was in their OneDrive, it was not there and was deleted with no chance to recover.

    This really needs to be changed. We were a Zoom shop and migrated to Teams, it was insanely easy to manage recordings in Zoom. No it is not and we risk losing important recordings that our users just assume will be available to review.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T07:07:02+00:00

    Yes - it was rolled out last month: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=116251

    Currently the feedback website is offline for me.

    Does someone know if MSFT implemented/rolled out this "Feature" around 11.June.2024?
    Is there any way to change this behaviour?

    We have multiple users who create meetigns for other users, but since 11.June the recording does not get saved with the user who started the recording, but with the organizer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-06T15:02:13+00:00

    Microsoft,

    As a project manager who has let's just say a lot of meetings and some overlap, some run over and I am responsible for doing all the recaps. As the meeting organizer and owner I should own every artifact that is created as a result of the meeting I own and organize.

    The behavior is as my esteemed colleagues in this thread have pointed out, illogical (to put it nicely - not what I am thinking trust me). I too have many coworkers in my organization who are extremely irritated (again putting it nicely) with this behavior.

    Now - as others have mentioned Zoom does not operate this way. I feel that Microsoft remains so far behind Zoom, and others in specific products, it is becoming difficult to continue to assert that Microsoft is the appropriate solution for all things. Maybe as consumers of software services and solutions we should really start considering the cost of doing business and falling short using Microsoft when they have no idea what the needs and use cases are nor do they seem to care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T16:05:12+00:00

    Same issue here. In addition to being inconvenient, it is a privacy risk as well. Please help us, MS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments