Stuck in an infinite loop of needing to already be signed in to the Authenticator app to approve a sign in FOR the authenticator app.

Anonymous
2023-05-26T16:02:55+00:00

I can't sign in because my account says it need me to approve the sign on in the Authenticator app. HOWEVER, the sign on for the Authenticator app is ALSO saying I need to approve the sign on in the app. So I can't sign in to approve it without already being signed in. SO I am stuck in an infinite loop of it asking me to approve a sign in on my account in an app that I can't sign into without already being signed in!

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Sign up and Sign in | Sign in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-06T13:29:45+00:00

    This isn't helpful because I am the admin. There's only one person on my 365 account, that's me. I can't change the 365 sign in settings on my browser unless I have a code from the authenticator app, but I can't add the account to the authenticator app without signing in to the account, which I can't do unless I have a code from the authenticator app. It's a loop just like described above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-24T14:02:13+00:00

    In case anyone needs this with the new iphone 16- i had the same issue, spoke with IT at my firm. They said the issue is that microsoft authenticator actually anchors to the original phone it was installed on. So the authenticator it wants you to open is actually on the OLD phone. Unfortunately I had wiped the old phone but the IT admin at my job is able to unlock it from the old phone and can give a QR code to install into the new phone. So my only advice is to call IT, you need to have admin privileges to do this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-25T14:29:21+00:00

    As an update, my problem was that because I created a business account with Microsoft under my business email address, I also needed to create a separate business Admin account (even though I'm a sole proprietor and even though that's not intuitive, as it's just me, it was necessary). The admin account (that my IT consultant created) used a special "onmicrosoft.com" email address. Once I accessed the Admin account, I was able to (1) create an Authenticator account for the Admin account, (2) access my Microsoft Admin account online, (3) view the members of my business account (consisting of my regular business email account and my new Admin account) under my groups (one of the options on the dashboard to the left), (4) make my regular business email account an owner, (5) log into my regular business Microsoft account (this time choosing a code sent via text rather than the Authenticator app; I could have stopped there as I had access but I wanted the ease of the Authenticator app); (6) once inside my regular business Microsoft account I added Microsoft authenticator as a sign-in option; (7) followed the steps (which popped up automatically) to create an Authenticator account for my regular business email using the QR code that appeared on screen, which (8) sent an Authenticator push to my phone under my regular business email Authenticator account. So long story short, because I have a business Microsoft account, I needed a separate Admin account to manage the Authenticator login process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-27T03:33:14+00:00

    Hi! I had the same nightmare and was able to call the service center, any MS service number will do. The key is to ask for "AZURE" help when prompted to specify an MS product. This took me directly to a person who was able to assist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-04T13:19:22+00:00

    No, sadly not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments