why is Teams so slow and unresponsive when with more then 10 people in the call

Anonymous
2020-04-16T19:04:14+00:00

Do other people have this also that Teams get so laggy and unresponsive when you are with many people in the meeting.

What will happen for example is that it takes very long that the bar appear where you can unmute your mic and leave the meeting or open the chat on the right.

Would like to hear if i am the only or its my Surface Pro 3 that is getting to old.

Surface Pro 3 is with 8 GB mem and a Core I7 and 512 gb ssd.

And does the Teams product team about this problem?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-03T07:54:46+00:00

    My organization has the same experience as you when using MS Teams.

    It is impossible to share a video during the call and even PowerPoint slides lag every now and then.

    Using the same hardware, we don't have this problem using Zoom, WebEx, or Goto Meeting.

    My office laptop has these specs:

    Intel i5-8350 @ 1.70 GHz

    16.0 RAM

    Windows 10 Enterprise and Office 365 Enterprise Subscription

    I even have this problem when I'm on my gaming laptop with a 1GB internet connection.

    It almost as if something is throttling the speed/connection. I've tried clearing caches / running only MS teams and PowerPoint / switched between LAN and WIFI, reinstalling the App, and nothing works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-01T20:42:21+00:00

    I have the same problem but with ALL of my lessons, even if there aren't many people. Most of my classmates have been complaining about it too, so it is not an uncommon issue. It makes it extremely difficult to carry out online classes with the teachers also becoming aggravated. I hope that Microsoft can repair this predicament soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T00:41:52+00:00

    Also definitely try new meeting experience as this is very cool and works great!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T00:39:09+00:00

    I'm curious how many people who reported this issue here are using VPN to connect to On-Prem. Reason why I ask is because this is a typical experience (slow, sluggish, hanging, etc.) when you access Teams (which is obviously Cloud Application) through your corporate Firewall / VPN / Proxy servers and this behavior is expected.

    If you do use VPN and you have slowness issue with Teams but your organization allows you to connect to Teams without corporate VPN try closing VPN and test Teams again and report your experience. It is well known issue and the only fix for this is implementing Split Tunnel VPN (search Google for that and you will see).

    Another issue (also well-known) is if you use any third-party Anti-Virus / Anti-Spyware / Anti-Malware / Whitelisting tools like McAfee, Carbon Black, FireEye or equivalent. Those are well-known to slow down your computer, and what is worse when you look in Task Manager you can see that Teams is causing high CPU utilization while in reality it is caused by constant scan by third-party tool.

    To prove that try using your personal, non-corporate computer (even slow Surface 2 should work great) and you most likely will see how fast Teams is! Either you chat, create or edit documents or join online meeting with full HD video and audio it should be perfectly fine! I can tell you that Teams is very snappy application and there is nothing to fix!

    Hope this can help to some people here. Please report back your results!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-16T18:12:35+00:00

    I am currently experiencing this problem. I also use a Surface Pro 3.

    Did not experience this when I taught my math class in May (12 students). Has happened in 2 classes I am currently teaching (20 students each) this week. Curiously, didn't experience this last week in the same classes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments