why is Teams so slow and unresponsive when with more then 10 people in the call

Anonymous
2020-04-16T19:04:14+00:00

Do other people have this also that Teams get so laggy and unresponsive when you are with many people in the meeting.

What will happen for example is that it takes very long that the bar appear where you can unmute your mic and leave the meeting or open the chat on the right.

Would like to hear if i am the only or its my Surface Pro 3 that is getting to old.

Surface Pro 3 is with 8 GB mem and a Core I7 and 512 gb ssd.

And does the Teams product team about this problem?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T16:31:54+00:00

    I am running ms teams on a desktop pc with 16gb of ram, a core i-5 9600k and an ssd, I is still lagging  considerably when switching between chats, and loads very slowly. Is there some sort of bottleneck that causes this incredibly slow performance?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-13T16:24:05+00:00

    I see the same thing and my concern is less about the performance of the meeting and more about the slowness of my other apps.  I don't see CPU contention during this, but I do see GPU being pegged.  And for example, when I try to reply to an email while on the call it becomes impossible to type (key stroke delay).  We all multi-task and am curious if Microsoft is aware of this and has been able to at least recreate in a lab.  I hope to find some form of solution.  

    My platform is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with i7 4 core with 16GB of RAM.  So, it is not just a Surface issue.

    PS - I don't see this with Zoom and Cisco WebEx which I also use frequently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-16T04:38:18+00:00

    Thanks Paul, this is great info. And great feedback on the camera - I feel that HD camera is the culprit.

    I have Medium power Desktop with Microsoft Studio Web Camera - bought if for $50 around 10 years ago.

    I tried connecting some high end USB camera (Vaddio USB Camera) and my Teams got really slow and high CPU.

    Can you try another, external small USB web camera to use instead of built-in one and tell us how it goes?

    Another option during the meeting can you switch to main camera (that is on the back on SP) and test as well?

    I think we might be getting somewhere with this. Just need to do few more tests to confirm.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-16T04:12:34+00:00

    It is a personal usage Surface Pro 3.

    My daughter is using it for remote school, they use Team for that purpose. 

    But as a test I tried with Skype Personal as well. 

    W10 20H2

    No VPN or additional antivirus 

    The usage of camera seems to be the issue as the audio only is fine.

    With camera enabled the Surface runs near 100% usage and the fan runs full speed so loud that the built-in microphone can't be used because of the noise. so we use a analog headset

    I'll try to make more test to do screenshots of the task manager

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-11-02T13:05:50+00:00

    Just try the same hardware with clean Windows 10 and Teams installed, and you will see that it will be no any slowness.

    If your car cannot drive because there are roadblocks, the problem is not the car - but roadblocks. Remove roadblocks and your car will fly :-).

    yeah, nope. On my Lenovo ThinkPad P50 I daily use Chome, 3 or 4 instances of IntelliJ IDEA, Outlook, Spotify and Teams... only Teams presents performance issues... even with all the other apps closed. Today I just turned on my laptop, opened Teams, try to text chat with team mates... unusable, 25% CPU usage, 1.5GB RAM... ridiculous.

    So... I have several cars on the same road, only one is left behind... I would bet it is the car

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments