MS Teams with Sony headphones wh 1000xm4

Anonymous
2022-04-19T19:22:31+00:00

I am using MS team frequently and calls are taking long time so decided to get a "good" headphones. I bought Sony headphones WH 1000xm4. The headphones work perfectly with the iPhone and iPad but not with MS Teams on laptop when connected via Bluetooth!

the sound keeps breaking and I had to switch to the laptop mic because people on the call keeps telling me that my voice is not clear when using the headphone mic.

Any idea how to fix this ?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-17T00:49:06+00:00

    Thank you @Philippe Plourde1 and @Lance Cordero

    Updated February 23rd, 2023, at 1030 CST. If you disable WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free AG Audio and switch to WH-1000XM5 Stereo, The microphone being used is from the computer, not your built-in 8 microphones.

    I tested this with a co-worker, and I stepped away from my computer into the kitchen, and my co-worker was not able to hear me speak.

    I do not know if this is an issue with Sony, Teams, or the latest Bluetooth drivers from intel, where the built-in microphones are active when I am not talking.

    I had to enable the WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free AG Audio

    I follow the instructions in the Device Manager to disable it. But after reading through the entire forum, I noticed @Lance Cordero had a permanent fix to prevent Hands-Free from being activated again. My microphone from my WH-1000XM5 was constantly disconnecting, every time I had to speak using Microsoft Teams and it was embarrassing because I can hear the people calling out my name. I tried switching the app between my Android phone and Windows computer without any luck. The only way was to manually disconnect it from Bluetooth on the computer and connect again.

    I purchased the XM5 on Feb 6th, 2023 and my Mic was always getting disconnected.

    Feb 6, 2023, So far, I have not experienced any microphone disconnect issues while wearing the headphones today. I even managed to use the app to switch back and forth between my PC and Android Pixel 6 phone, and it was working fine.

    I disabled WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free AG Audio, and now it defaults to WH-1000XM5 Stereo on my Windows 10 PC. Option 2 was used to permanently disable hands-free. I was in a GoToMeeting and Microsoft Teams meeting, and my microphone was still working. Tomorrow I have more meetings. I'll keep an eye on it in case it happens again. I will update this incident.

    Updated as of February 20th, 2023, it is still working beautifully. Also, if you have two devices connected, for example, my PC and phones, if you have two devices connected, for example, my PC and phone, If you are in a meeting and the phone dings, rings, or makes other sounds, this will disrupt communication; in other words, if your phone is ringing and you are in the middle of a meeting, you will not hear the last words because your phone was ringing. In the app Device, click the three dots and then select Fixing playback device. This will resolve the issue so that only your computer's sound and voice are heard, rather than phone noises.

    Option 1: To disable it via Device Manager. Go to Device ManagerGo to Sound, video, and game controllers and expand the menuLook for WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free AG AudioRight-click and disable it. if it comes back on following the next steps. Image**Option 2: To disable it completely, follow the below steps.**Go to Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.Look for WH-1000XM5. Right-click and select PropertiesGo to Tab Services and uncheck Handsfree TelephonyThis will disable the hands-free option completely and remove it from Device Manager under Sound, video, and game controllers. Image
    Image Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-08T17:09:40+00:00

    Sadly this does not work as a solution on the xM5. After 3’days of instal uninstall pair impair, delete all devices only add the PC —. I am done. This is a bug. I went to Costco and bought a Bose Q45 and it paired and connected to my work laptop in 30 seconds and the MIC actually works and noise cancellation. Then paired Bose Q45 with my iPhone. The mic works. Paired Bose Q45 my Dell windows 11 and the mic worked and so did noise cancelling. I don’t know if Teams is blocking Sony headsets or Sony firmware isn’t playing nice with MS Teams but either way the Bose Q45 worked in 30 seconds and the Sony wh-1000xm5 after hours and hours over 3 days never worked with the Mic and noise cancelation with either windows 10 or 11 on the PC. At first I thought it was my company security, but now that my Apple AirPods and the new Bose Q45 work with all my laptops and iPhone it clearly is Sony and Microsoft not playing together. Not sure which end it is but I need a headset that works with noise canceling as in office I sit in a group of loud people who are on the phone all day and WFH it’s the dogs barking. The Bose seems to be working great. Now to return the Sony headset as it’s either defective or firmware doesn’t play with PCs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-23T16:26:22+00:00

    Hi @NRHTX, I'm not sure how you could be using the built-in Sony Microphones if you followed the steps you described above. If I understand correctly, these steps are to disable the Sony headset as a Headphone + Microphone combo and just leave the option of Headphones alone. Is that correct? I followed the steps and the microphone was no longer an option in Teams, it just defaults to the PC mic. I'm completely lost on this issue, using XM5s with windows 10. My headphones have worked perfectly with Teams for about 2 months and now have decided to stop working.

    My Apologies, @Dean Madden

    You are correct, I just found out today that it was the PC microphone picking up my voice. I conducted a test today and when I walked away my co-worker told me she could not hear me.

    I went ahead and enabled WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free AG Audio.

    Sony Need to fix this ASAP

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-04-19T20:25:01+00:00

    Hi Sabouba , I'm Sergio, it's a pleasure to help you.

    You can try to:

    1. Check for pending operative system and Teams updates.
    2. Remove all bluethoot headset from the devices list and connect it again to the computer.
    3. Make a test call.

    To make a test call, select your profile picture, then choose Settings > Devices. Then select Make a test call under Audio devices.

    In a test call, you'll see how your mic, speaker, and camera are working. Follow the instructions from Test Call Bot and record a short message. The message will play back for you. After that, you'll get a summary of the test call, and you can go to your device settings to make changes.

    1. You might need to change one of your privacy settings. Here's how to check:

    a. Open Settings

    b. Under Privacy, select go to all items related to the audio.

    c. Make sure the setting access for this device is turned On

    d. Close all apps and restart your device

    I hope that you can solve the problem, please let me know about the result.

    Greetings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments