Windows 11 causing malfunction to left Shift Key

Anonymous
2022-01-23T12:03:22+00:00

Hello,

I have experienced this problem intermittently since updating to windows 11. The left shift key - which I use extensively when typing - does not sustain caps lock for consecutive alphabets such as when typing CAPS. Sometimes it also does not register the key press and will not activate caps lock or type special characters. This is not a hardware issue as it disappears when using Windows 10. Can I please have a solution for this as this highly impacts my work flow and is very annoying.

Thank you very much

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-11T22:17:26+00:00

    One thing you could confirm is whether it is hardware related. Sounds like a stupid MS first line support kind of solution before they next tell you to buy another computer

    Start your machine, enter the BIOS, and find one of the settings which lets you type into the field. Test your keys outside of windows.

    Alternatively dump a basic Linux build onto a bootable USB, and test your keyboard inside that OS.

    If it still causes issues, h/w is faulty. If it doesn't cause keyboard issues then I've wasted some of your time, for which I apologise (a little) . At least you know it's software related :) Maybe the first line support kind from MS is onto something.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-30T09:20:13+00:00

    I was stress-free for 9 months until I used my pen on Tuesday. @MotoX80 is spot on - just remove the damn pen from your Bluetooth devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-15T15:12:51+00:00

    Same problem here. Upgraded from win10 to win11 and since i'm experiencing that super annoying issue with the SHIFT key not working consistently. It's working sometimes and sometimes not. It's a nightmare really... I'm on a laptop.. HP Omen. it's clearly a driver issue...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-04-26T09:09:51+00:00

    I have a Dell Inspiron 7306 2n1. I've not experienced the issues since I reinstalled (fingers crossed).

    I feel for you RileyAtkins1 - it's really annoying and the fix should not be a reinstall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-04-25T21:15:08+00:00

    No I haven't been able to find a solution and now the problem is back. It is incredibly annoying. I'm sorry that I can't be of help...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments