Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T23:18:15+00:00

    Thank you but I don't feel inclined to mess about with the install as it seems everything works OK except the notification sounds and since I changed the sound, although it's not perfect, it's better than it was.

    I'd also looked over some sites but found no-one with any personal experience relating to or fixing my actual "problem".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T22:09:24+00:00

    That's a general checklist to go over Windows so you know the underlying quality of your install, which is what matters most in WIndows 10 and 11.

    If you don't want to go over it then that's fine. It was just a last resort system integrity check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T19:08:28+00:00

    What's the point in doing a system restore to go back to a point before the problem began? The problem began as soon as I set up my notifications and sound.

    As the computer was brand new, there were umpteen updates etc when I began using it so everything must therefore be up to date?

    As the problem relates to sound, why on earth would I need to mess about with facial recognition or fingerprint?

    I don't visit dodgy sites and the computer could hardly have picked up anything needing a scan in three weeks of careful use?

    I suppose most people don't have notifications or even know where to go change the system sounds so very few will have personal, hands-on experience of sorting out a problem such as this?

    I don't care for rambling round somewhat obscure techie sites as over the years I've found them to have, shall I say, "unwanted" nasties buried in such sites, hence your disclaimer??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T15:48:53+00:00

    That would be a system function. You can Go over WIndows 11 with this checklist to find and fix problems:

    1. See if you can System Restore to a point before the problem started:

    https://itechhacks.com/system-restore-windows-11/

    System Restore is your first line of defense and can take you back to a point before a problem began like a time machine. If it doesn't help then you can undo it. Read about it first in the tutorial above and then try restoring to just before this started. If System Restore is not enabled on C drive do that now so it's available in the future.

    If the problem repeats or System Restore doesn't work then check which Windows Updates were installed at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Update History, uninstall them there or System Restore again, then immediately check for and block the Updates with the Hide Updates tool explained here: https://www.droidwin.com/how-to-stop-only-a-spe...

    1. Update your drivers from the PC maker's Support Downloads webpage for your exact model. While there check for the latest Chipset, BIOS, Sound, Network, USB3, Bluetooth and all other drivers to compare with the version/date installled for that device in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu.

    If the drivers are not present or not working for Facial Recognition or Fingerprint then contact your PC manufacturer's Support.

    1. Expedite install of all Windows Updates in Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates, including needed restarts, then go back to check again until no more are offered.

    Then go into Microsoft Store app > My Library > Get Updates and expedite all Store app Updates, too, until no more are offered.

    1. Run a full Windows 11 Disk Check: https://allthings.how/how-to-run-chkdsk-in-wind...
    2. Establish a Clean Boot to turn off Startup Freeloaders that can conflict and cause issues:

    https://www.makeuseof.com/clean-boot-windows-11/

    1. Test for account corruption by creating a new Local Admin account to see if the problem goes away:

    https://pureinfotech.com/create-local-administr...

    Sign into the new account, test it works correctly, if so move files over, test all apps work or reinstall any that don't. Then when ready delete the old account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other Users.

    You can change it to your Microsoft account if desired in Settings > Accounts > Your Info > Sign in with a Microsoft Account Instead.

    1. Download, install and run a full scan with free Malwarebyes from https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/ after enabling Root Kit scan in Scan Settings. Clean Up anything it finds and then run again. Turn off Real Time trial in Control panel to keep as on-demand scanner.
    2. Run System File Checker/DISM in WIndows 11:

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/use-system-file-c...

    1. If that doesn't fix it then you can do a Windows 11 Repair Upgrade which reinstalls Windows while saving your files and apps in place, brings it up to the latest version by the most stable method, takes about an hour and resolves most problems: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-wi...

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T11:09:51+00:00

    Well now, apart from the post above, here's something new. I changed the sound to a different one and I got no tone at the start of the sound but the end of the sound cut off instead.

    I'm now wondering if the problem lies somewhere within the sounds themselves?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments