Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T09:11:43+00:00

    I don't know about you but I often find they tell you everything except what you want to know!

    Has my sound issue got you stumped?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T23:29:19+00:00

    All manuals are now online. Most are found on the hardware maker's Support Downloads web page along with drivers and important information among the Support documents. Others can be found by googling the make and model of the device to find web archives that have PDF's of the manual to print out for free. I've never not been able to find a manual online.

    You can snap Windows to half the screen, or even a third or fourth of the screen to have different Windows on screen at the same time. See how here:

    https://www.lifewire.com/use-snap-layout-to-spl...

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-snap-ass...

    I hope it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T23:24:49+00:00

    On a completely different tack and not a lot to do with the sound problem, these days, you buy something and there's no "instruction book" any more. It seems to me that purveyors of technical goods seem to think that buyers will find it "fun finding out". Now that might be so for people who never actually do anything, but just love fiddling about whereas others want to get on with the job that they bought the item to do.

    There doesn't seem to books about such things any more either, just loads of links to some website or other. I don't know how long you've been in to Windows, but my first experience was Windows 95. There was a book available, "Windows 95 Secrets", it ran to over 1200 pages! Now that's some collection?

    Getting back to the sound issue, I'm a user, not a fiddler, I want to get on with things. Currently I'm proof reading a 1300 page document. The program I'm using opens only in a window. Usually I use tabs. I usually have three tabs open and when I'm using the word processor program, the Window obscures my three tabs, two of which are my email adresses so that's why I want a sound when an email arrives. Currently, I've dragged the top of the Window down so I can see the three tabs but I'd rather not. Time I went, goodnight

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T21:09:54+00:00

    I've just looked at sync, (in profile, personal) although my email is there, underneath it says "not syncing" and there's the option to "turn on sync".

    I tried turning it on, it made no difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T19:20:33+00:00

    It sounds like it's syncing your settings between the PC's in Edge Settings > Your Profile > Sync. You might want to look those over to see if they're what you want.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments