Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T18:33:24+00:00

    M/C is the common abbreviation for "machine".

    I don't know what you mean by Edge notifications for gmail.

    Do you mean click the three dots in the top right, go to "settings", "cookies & site permissions", then "Notifications"? If I turn "Ask before sending" to "off," I get the same tone plus half the proper sound. Allow still has gmail there. If I change the "allow" gmail to block I get no sound and no flag.

    When I did that, the sound and flag stopped on my Win 10 laptop too. I checked the settings on that and there was no gmail there, I put the same as on this computer and the sound is back again.

    The way I try it out is to send myself an email from another email address. After doing the above, on this computer I got the proper sound the first time. When I sent another, it was back to the tone and half the proper sound.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T15:09:52+00:00

    What is M/C? If you're not using common abbreviations (HDD, SSD, AIO, etc) please write it out so we don't have to guess.

    If you turn off the Edge notifications for Gmail which notification sound remains?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T10:01:04+00:00

    No, when I said "Laptop" I put "LT" in brackets and used LT as an abbreviation for LapTop. I forget how many years old that is. I got the new all-in-one desktop because the hard drive on my my old Win 7 M/C was failing.

    The Win 11 M/C is three weeks old and the notification sound issue has been the same since I first added sound notifications

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T00:00:20+00:00

    By WIndows 10 LT are you referring to LTSB?

    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3250464/f...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T18:39:12+00:00

    Thank you for your time and patience (but you might need more :-) )

    First off, this was a new computer and the mail notifications has been as described from first off so system restore surely isn't an option. As I said before I have a Win 10 laptop (LT) and it and this one are using the Edge browser and I've never been near chrome. Both computers are using the same version of Edge. When I got this one, I tried to have everything the same as the Win 10 LT (except loading the mail app with my gmail adress).

    As gmail is not in the mail app, when I click "mail" the page is empty. I wouldn't see the gear icon until gmail was in the mail app again.

    If you have the patience to continue, I'd prefer to only try one step at a time but isn't it clear that the "problem" lies somewhere with Edge rather than the mail app which doesn't have gmail "loaded"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments