what is this error: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR3 during a paging operation.

Anonymous
2022-07-25T01:36:35+00:00

a seperate error was this:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: F:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7.

           Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.

           Device GUID: {390d3b88-0b14-a800-2004-644fa477ceb8}

           Device manufacturer: Seagate 

           Device model: Expansion       

           Device revision: 1805

           Device serial number:             NA8NLPKP

           Bus type: USB

           Adapter serial number: 

But at the time of the error in the subject, i was not copying data to this system. at the time of the second error in the body of this post, i was searching an external drive, it did that. it was connected, except i did probably unplug it, so that might be the case. However, i don't get why the paging this is going on.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T05:02:46+00:00

    I'm not sure what those errors mean but unless there are performance problems I would not worry about it.

    System Managed is fine for Virtual Memory on C. There is no reason to turn it on any other drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T04:53:35+00:00

    You can optimize the paging file for C drive Windows following https://howtofixwindows.com/adjust-virtual-memo...

    You can also set it on System managed size which is good enough and then observe performance before deciding if you want to optimize it.

    it appears that it is on system managed size.

    what is this:

    The access history in hive ??\C:\Users\__\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windows.search_ was cleared updating 1 keys and creating 1 modified pages.

    i also noticed that a volume of a shadow copy of the external drive was deleted.

    various permission errors to the COM servers. i don't understand all of that.

    why would it suddenly have problems possibly related to virtual memory or transferring files (or after the files were transferred?). it did not have problems specifically transferring files, but these errors mostly appeared after the files finished transferring.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T04:39:57+00:00

    You can optimize the paging file for C drive Windows following https://howtofixwindows.com/adjust-virtual-memo...

    You can also set it on System managed size which is good enough and then observe performance before deciding if you want to optimize it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T04:35:11+00:00

    i went to the virtual memory thing first, and i found what i said. i don't know specifically what I should do in regards to that. the two links there say similar things. it says about 3x the initial size in the first link. I mentioned that i found that page files are supposed to reduce th work load.

    Disk check did not show any errors at all on any disks. That is why i did not need to run diagnostics.

    I am wondering if what i have reported afterwards could have been related to the errors. These sudden page file errors did not occur until today. I installed some software yesterday, and copied files at that time. I also transferred files from the external drive to the internal drive today, then i did a search.

    If there aren't any hard drive errors in disk check, but the windows event log is reporting a disk page file error, i thought something in the time frame could be related.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T04:12:27+00:00

    Joshua -

    I gave you three numbered steps to find and fix the problem if there is one.

    Please continue with the steps I wrote out, as well as each step in the illustrated tutorials, and report back results so I know what else to suggest.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments