Windows 11 Error message 0x00000709 while connecting to shared printer

Anonymous
2023-01-06T07:54:21+00:00

An error message is displayed while connecting to network shared printer. 'Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-01-06T07:58:49+00:00

Hi,

It's a known issue in Windows 11 22H2. This error occurs because the default connection method has changed in 22H2. Altering a setting in the Group Policy Editor resolves the issue.

Please check out:

Thomas Førde on Twitter: "Printer issue finally resolved. A brand new printer policy in Win11 22H2 is the culprint. "RPC Connection settings. Need to change over to Named Pipes and it works again. #msintune #Memcm https://t.co/7xPS7Xxs0o" / Twitter: https://twitter.com/thomas_forde/status/1575096625470611458

Fix: Printer Error 0x00000bc4 or 0x00000709 in Windows 11 22H2:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/printer-error-0x00000bc4-0x00000709-windows-11-22h2/

For Windows 11 Home Edition, try the registry edit (equivalent to the Group Policy setting) mentioned on the above page:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\RPC] There are 2 values that can be configured:

RpcUseNamedPipeProtocol REG_DWORD

0: RpcOverTcp (default)
1: RpcOverNamedPipes

Also, see Eko Suprianto's post here for the additional settings if your Windows 11 22H2 is acting as the host (i.e., print server)

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-17T16:36:43+00:00

    None of this works. So I long back went back to Windows 10.

    Recently I got an opportunity to work on Windows 11 few days back and still the same. It's another failure OS. Instead of wasting my time on it, I downgraded it to Windows 10 OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-04T17:36:15+00:00

    Were you able to resolve it? I have Pro also and none of these fixes work. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-26T08:03:40+00:00

    The option helped me, but there is an important aspect. When I attempt to add a printer using the IP address (\192.168.xx.xx\sharePrintName), the error persists. However, if I add it using the computer's name (\NameOfPC\sharePrintName), everything works perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-05-02T13:50:35+00:00

    After I have done this I am getting am 0x000003e3 error, please help me with this

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments