Windows 11 Error message 0x00000709 while connecting to shared printer

Anonymous
2023-01-06T07:54:21+00:00

An error message is displayed while connecting to network shared printer. 'Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-01-06T07:58:49+00:00

Hi,

It's a known issue in Windows 11 22H2. This error occurs because the default connection method has changed in 22H2. Altering a setting in the Group Policy Editor resolves the issue.

Please check out:

Thomas Førde on Twitter: "Printer issue finally resolved. A brand new printer policy in Win11 22H2 is the culprint. "RPC Connection settings. Need to change over to Named Pipes and it works again. #msintune #Memcm https://t.co/7xPS7Xxs0o" / Twitter: https://twitter.com/thomas_forde/status/1575096625470611458

Fix: Printer Error 0x00000bc4 or 0x00000709 in Windows 11 22H2:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/printer-error-0x00000bc4-0x00000709-windows-11-22h2/

For Windows 11 Home Edition, try the registry edit (equivalent to the Group Policy setting) mentioned on the above page:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\RPC] There are 2 values that can be configured:

RpcUseNamedPipeProtocol REG_DWORD

0: RpcOverTcp (default)
1: RpcOverNamedPipes

Also, see Eko Suprianto's post here for the additional settings if your Windows 11 22H2 is acting as the host (i.e., print server)

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T10:33:55+00:00

    If only! I have changed the Group Policy setting and checked it in the Registry, but I continue to get the Windows couldn't connect error. I have one system on Windows 11 22H2 and the other on Windows 10 19045, and I have tried it with the printer on both systems and connecting via the other, and it is not happening. I have been at this for a couple of days, and resigned to giving up hoping it gets fixed by updates. I am not holding my breath though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-06T00:54:03+00:00

    Hi Ramesh ,
    I have 50 clients using windows 11 pro
    whom I support remotely
    All get the below error

    and I already tried below fix

    Is there anything else needs to be done
    This can happen to any printer
    The current client is Zdesigner Lp2844

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-21T23:23:33+00:00

    Use the regedit app supplied with windows installation. navigate to the folder"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\RPC".

    Then under edit in the regedit app go to "New" and select "Key". In the box that pops up type "Printers" and push enteron keyboard. Then making sure the "Printers" key is highlighted return to edit and select "New", then "Key" and type "RPC"; push enter on keyboard

    Same again, making sure "RPC" is highlighted go to edit select "New" then select "DWORD" in the box that pops up type "RpcUseNamedPipeProtocol" then push enter key. Now rightclick on "RpcUseNamedPipeProtocol" and select modify: the box that pops up will show "0" as the value change that to "1" , then enter,then close the regedit app, no need to save. You should now be able to connect to your printer. I didn't reboot and all went well. Reboot if you like.

    Reply   Edit

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-07T06:16:27+00:00

    Thanks for assistance. Now am able to connect to shared network printer. Done

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments