cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-02T22:18:30+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Have tried running the update troubleshooter, deleting update cache, restart update service etc. Even trying to hide the update doesn't work--the cumulative update pops right back up. Also using a dell here w/ intel i7

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-28T02:00:07+00:00

    I think my issues with stornvme is limithed to 32bit, the issues with 64bit is now a 3 month dilemma and growing, patch Tuesday is getting closer... lets hope that they get it right this time!

    Meanwhile I've started pushing Samsung Drivers out across the WAN and we are seeing success.

    On the downside we learned their driver only supports the 950,960 and 970.... It won't install on the 980 (you can hack it in) but Samsung recommends using the Microsoft NVMe Driver (lol\cry)

    Personally I really think if Microsoft is not going to provide any phone support they should at least have some forum ran by employees with access to the engineers...

    I had an Amazon tech on the phone for an hour with a broken echo dot.... and they called me back to make sure it was still working.... Microsoft needs to get a clue

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T13:52:14+00:00

    thanks glezbsg,

    I cross posted in that one too....

    In August MS seems to have broken "Secure Boot" and finally admit it: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-20h2#2883msgdesc

    Disturbing thing is this is a different error code (0x800f0922 vs our 0x800F0845)

    In my case I can get past the error 0x800F0845 by changing NVMe drivers, but that's not a fix for 150 machines... and given everyone posting's setup, isn't limited to NVMe.

    Trying to figure out the if this newer wave of failures since 2022-10 are even related to the ones from 2022-09 & 2022-08 or did Microsoft break something else?

    My problem also got uglier today as most of my rebooting machines are 21H1 and are EOL as of December. These machines are now not only rebooting from 2022-10, but are now taking the "Feature Update" to 22H2 and also blue screening.

    I'll be in my office\lab in an hour and diving deeper....

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T13:28:26+00:00

    I know this has been posted before but just as a reminder, this thread has been trying to diagnose the problem since the beginning of August. The trouble shooters are worthless as are all the standard fixes for Windows Update problems. It happens on Windows 10 and Windows 11.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-update-kb5016616-kb5017308-kb5017380/8722de52-46ca-44ed-af4f-281b9f57a225

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-17T16:32:11+00:00

    I have done all that several times. No help. From other comments, it seems to apply mostly to DELL computers. Is there something different about them that causes problems with the latest cumulative updates?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments