I have done that twice for both of the updates. Both had the same result. It won't install. If I leave it long enough, it goes to a black screen with just the mouse pointer on it. Thanks
cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.
My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-10-15T01:55:38+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-10-25T20:36:33+00:00 So I started off today with a new USB and MS Media Creation tool creating a 32\64 install thumb of 22H2
I put two failing Gigabyte H110N machines on the bench, used DISKPART and wiped both.
Starting with the Machine A, I loaded a 64 bit version and after booting took the 2022-10 and it booted perfectly
I then tool Machine A wiped it again and reloaded a 64 bit version as EFI and after booting took the 2022-10 and it still booted perfectly
Starting with the Machine B, I loaded a 32 bit version and after booting took the 2022-10 and it failed as expected.
I Tried downloading the 2022-10 as a .MUI and it Failed
I disabled everything I could in the BIOS and it Failed
I wiped Machine B, and Added a SATA 860 Pro SSD and loaded 32 bit and took 2022-10 and it Worked!
I know from the past Using the Samsung NVMe driver will make the systems work, so I decided to a like test hacking.
I reloaded the M.2 again with 22H2 x32 and Prior to the update I took a copy of original Microsoft's stornvme.sys, I then took the 2022-10 update and during the reboot I pulled the drive stuck it in Machine A and took ownership and swapped out the newer version for the original.
After putting the drive back in Machine B and it booted, and finished the upgrade :)
I Now have a perfectly working 22H2 box with 2022-10 running the original 22H2 stornvme.sys.... Of coarse I would never put this into production as it will probably die again with the next cumulative, but it proved that MS broke their NVMe driver which is exactly what I first diagnosed.
So.. no matter what I did it I couldn't break 64bit and 32bit I can't fix without switching 150 machines NVMe Driver to Samsung.
I presume all our issues are bugs related to the changes for Secure Boot, just sad that the engineers at Microsoft really don't know what their doing and are completely hidden from the world and the chaos they cause.
This is so frustrating!
Regards,
Mike Pisano
-
Anonymous
2022-10-21T13:50:11+00:00 I have around 150 machines currently rebooting daily and reverting with "Automatic Repair" while we wait for Microsoft to acknowledge and fix this!
Symptom:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0845: 2022-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10
Stop Code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
Issues:
Microsoft has broken "Microsoft NVM Express Controller" in 2022-10
Suggestions:
If you have a Samsung NVMe\M.2 installed in your device you can download their driver and 2022-10 will install properly. (You can check in Device Manager under Storage Controllers)
I have been hoping for others to follow and join this thread: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/778385/kb5018410-2022-10-cumulative-update-fails-0x800f0845-on-windows-10-21h1-32bit/
Also Note, I have installed 22H2 from scratch which installed and again after loading the 2022-10 Cumulative Blue Screens.
I would recommend if you don't want to or are scared to change your M.2 Driver just wait for Microsoft to fix this.... Inplace updates and SFC and DISM wont fix this.... you will only make things worse.
HTH,
Mike Pisano
-
TekkieBoy 12,556 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2022-10-16T19:25:34+00:00 This thread is about the same problem:
So far, the only solution is currently to perform a clean Windows installation.
-
Anonymous
2022-10-16T18:50:27+00:00 Have you found a solution to this issue?
I have the same problem, after the update is installed and the computer is reboot, it get stuck on the spinning circle and I have to reboot the computer several times until gives me an error and reverts the update back