In Windows 11 "shell infrastructure host" process using a lot of CPU when viewing Photos on external SSD

Anonymous
2021-11-11T17:25:41+00:00

I have two computers on Windows 11 22000.318 and on both of them when I connect my 512GB Samsung SSD "shell infrastructure host" starts to use a lot of CPU and power usage is "very high" in task manager. I understand this may be normal when browsing large folders on the SSD or copying files to/from the SSD but even if I close all the File Explorer windows to the SSD "shell infrastructure host" continues to use a lot of CPU. If I try to eject the SSD it says its in use. So my only option is to log out of Windows and log back in and that stops "shell infrastructure host" and it goes back to normal. Could this problem be part of the Windows 11 memory leak bug with File Explorer I've been hearing about? Or maybe something to do with indexing going on? My external SSD has thousands of photos and I am using the Photos app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-07T15:34:38+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-07T08:16:04+00:00

    Thank you very much! I guessed this is the issue... But, we are talking about Microsoft, not an undergraduate student that releases an OS.

    I've been a windows user for more than 20 years, and I want to help Microsoft fix the bugs with windows 11.

    Here is a list of some bugs:

    • Unexpected restart of explorer.exe (taskbar :) ) when you right-click in the Videos, Pictures, Documents folder. -> sometimes
    • Cannot create a new .txt file from right-click menu. -> fix: Restart
    • No Clock in Windows 11, even if you click on time and date at the right corner.
    • No Drag and Drop in Windows 11!!! (between tabs, to desktop, etc.)
    • Bluetooth connection got worse. Sometimes I need to restart my Bluetooth a couple of times to get the full functionality of my headphone.
    • Windows search bar in the start menu is just a button :D ( I like to think this way. Otherwise, it is implemented multiple times without any reason. )

    When you open the start menu and try to search, It closes the start menu and opens the windows search app. At least we expect that both the search and start menus have the same width and height.

    In some cases, when you type something in the search bar, it clears your typing, and you need to start from the beginning.

    • No folder preview in Windows 11! In windows 10,8.1,8,7, Vista, and XP, you could see a preview of files in a folder before opening them.
    • Incomplete integration of control panel. Some buttons redirect to the new settings app, and some use the old control panel.
    • I'm not sure, but Xbox screen recording is disabled for me.
    • Windows 11 changes screen brightness in/out of apps every time.
    • The new right-click menu is pretty, but when you want more options and click on show more options, it isn't pleasant.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-07T06:57:08+00:00

    Thank you very much. Although this is not actual fix. I can now at least stop the high cpu usage without have to reboot the PC. Just open task manager and kill sihost.exe in the details tab.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-07T06:55:13+00:00

    Hi. How do I access Photo app advanced options? There is nothing in the setting option?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-07T04:33:00+00:00

    I didn't have this addon installed at all when I was already experiencing this dumb high CPU usage bug. This addon only got installed after I was searching for it as you have mentioned and I was looking in Photos app settings to find this addon when it popped up that it has auto installed it. So, if it was only auto installed at this point, then it's not the reason.

    This damn bug nearly scorched my laptop. It's a passive cooled netbook so fan noise isn't a dead giveaway and shell host infrastructure process was hammering it through entire night because I was viewing photos in the evening. Normally it runs idle at 35°C, but was running at 65°C. Trough entire night! Its chassis was so hot I could hardly hold it since it's metal. Ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments