In Windows 11 "shell infrastructure host" process using a lot of CPU when viewing Photos on external SSD

Anonymous
2021-11-11T17:25:41+00:00

I have two computers on Windows 11 22000.318 and on both of them when I connect my 512GB Samsung SSD "shell infrastructure host" starts to use a lot of CPU and power usage is "very high" in task manager. I understand this may be normal when browsing large folders on the SSD or copying files to/from the SSD but even if I close all the File Explorer windows to the SSD "shell infrastructure host" continues to use a lot of CPU. If I try to eject the SSD it says its in use. So my only option is to log out of Windows and log back in and that stops "shell infrastructure host" and it goes back to normal. Could this problem be part of the Windows 11 memory leak bug with File Explorer I've been hearing about? Or maybe something to do with indexing going on? My external SSD has thousands of photos and I am using the Photos app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-04-02T22:55:05+00:00

    I have the same issue. So glad I now know what it is. But it's not ok. It is so stressful sitting for a couple of hours, editing pics with the computer whiring. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. FIX THIS PLEASE MICROSOFT!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-23T09:03:16+00:00

    Same issue here have to kill the process and restart explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-15T18:26:37+00:00

    I was wondering why my rzyen 3600 seemed to be way slower in benchmarks that it should... I have the same issue 3/15/2022 Win 11 ~10% "shell infrastructure host" CPU usage ... logging out and back in seems to resolve it in my case... Great one more thing to remember to do if I wanna play a game / log out and back in.. fun... Microsoft please fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-07T16:20:06+00:00

    Same problem here! But I found out that the error doesn´t show up when I quit the photo app with the taskmanager!

    Hope that helps.

    Walter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-28T23:10:36+00:00

    Same problem here only when I check photos on Windows Photos. Also enabled screen saver, adjusted color, etc. All of the things people claim it is for them, not for me, just Windows Photos. Just have to remember to open my pics with a different program which is fine as I use Lightroom.

    M

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments