Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-13T20:16:26+00:00

    Hi guys I have the same problem with a dell laptop

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-17T13:51:54+00:00

    I did exactly what you said, and it worked. Thank you very much. To help out, here is the Microsoft page where I downloaded it from. I clicked on:

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel+Smart+Sound+Technology+for+USB+audio
    Click:
     Intel(R) Corporation - MEDIA - 10.29.0.8854 Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Servicing Drivers, Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Upgrade & Servicing Drivers Drivers (Sound) 30/03/2023 n/a 101,9 MB

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-05T17:09:29+00:00

    For me FxSound solution didn't work when headphones weren't detected at all, but I managed to make it work - I've erased all bluetooth related drivers: intel bluetooth drivers, bluetooth LE enumerators, and all others along with devices. I've also removed HID sensor and HID interface device related to headphones, and sound controllers: Intel Smart Sound for Bluetooth and digital microphones.

    After that I've restarted, updated bluetooth driver to newest version (22.240.0.2) and paired headphones. So far, it's working properly without any external applications - WH-1000XM5 headphones are detected and a microphone. Calls working properly on Teams and others, using not headset but headphones with microphone. I hope it will keep working fine now, as last time it also worked for couple of days and then after some time stopped detecting properly.

    I'm not sure if issue was fixed in drivers (a week ago new version was released), or maybe erasing all drivers related to bluetooth and device did the trick. After removing Intel Smart Sound for digital microphones I needed to download and install it from Realtek website, because without it laptop's build-in mic wasn't working.

    Anyway, thanks Johan_S3 for sharing your solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-27T20:36:46+00:00

    One way I found that works... which is annoying but it allows me to use them as a headset (with audio and mic).

    1. Remove the pairing from windows
    2. Disable bluetooth
    3. Re enable bluetooth
    4. Re pair bluetooth

    Then it works fine... just when I pair / switch it back to my phone, then I need to do the same procedure haha

    I will see if using a USB bluetooth dongle will help, apparently it might be something with Intel bluetooth drivers causing weirdness too

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T10:06:09+00:00

    I'm encountering the exact same issue, and also I can confirm that on Windows 10 or Android these headphones working properly. Sometimes the OS "has a good day" and everything working fine so headphones and headset are connected so the microphone is working, and the next day just the headphones are connected, without headset so microphone isn't working then. I've tried already updating drivers, without success.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments