Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-15T13:07:57+00:00

    I have been facing the same problem for over 3 months, I feel embarrassed in meetings. I use a DELL XPS 13 9320 with all drivers and Windows 11 updated to today's date, 08/17/2023.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-05T17:27:59+00:00

    Yeah it's definitely something with the drivers /intel chipset. I have been using a USB dongle that has realtek chips etc for about a week... flawless, no issues at all.

    My internal bluetooth in laptop is an Intel chipset, so I disabled that and just using the realtek USB dongle and headphones work fine

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-27T20:21:33+00:00

    I also am having this issue. I used to be able to select headset and use the microphone built into the headset. Now that option is not available and I am unable to have Windows 10 even recognize the microphone device in the headset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-26T11:03:51+00:00

    It looks like it's bluetooth drivers issue on Windows 11. On Windows 10 I have other drivers and it works fine, on Android it also works fine for me. So I hope it will be resolved soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T23:24:52+00:00

    Update 7/7/23: After restarting my computer the intermittent functionality below regressed back to consistently not connecting to voice chat. It now shows the original symptoms.

    Original post: I tried the fix you noted above for my Lenovo P1. When I reran Lenovo Vantage (similar to Dell Support Assistant) it surfaced a new Intel Bluetooth driver (22.200.0.2). After downloading and installing that it seems to work better but not 100% of the time:

    • I needed to forget and re-pair my headphones. The driver update alone did not change the behavior.
    • When I connect using the "connect" button on the Windows Bluetooth settings page, it seems to work every time.
    • When I power cycle the headphones, only the "music" functionality reconnects. I need to disconnect and reconnect my headphones using the windows settings page to get it to work again.
    • Windows still says "driver error" every time the headphones disconnect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments