Windows 11 cannot detect second monitor.

Anonymous
2023-06-16T20:50:49+00:00

I just purchased a new laptop that’s running Windows 11. I am trying to set up duel monitors. When I click ‘Detect’ I get ‘We didn’t find another display’.  I am using an HDMI cable to connect the second monitor to my laptop. Both screens work, but they are a mirror image. There’s no way showing to change that setting because the second monitor was not detected. No good.

I set up the second monitor on my main workstation that’s running Windows 10. No problem. Monitor was detected and set as ‘Extended’. Worked fine.

I reviewed everything I could find about this issue. I tried all the suggested fixes. Nothing worked. All available drivers are up to date, etc., etc.

Another thing I tried was hitting the Windows Key + P. That procedure did identify both monitors. In the settings it did show an option to detect the monitors. When I clicked ‘Detect’ it still came back with ‘We didn’t find another display’ I was able to changed the setting to ‘Extended’. I thought I had it working. However, all I get on the second monitor is the background screen, nothing else. No programs show up. I do get the toolbar. But when I click a toolbar link on the main monitor it activates on the second monitor. It’s a mess.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix?

Thank you for any assistance.

Glenn

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Reported
Anonymous
2024-12-21T00:49:25+00:00

I can say with full confidence that this might work for you. Definitely worked for me !

0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T14:18:04+00:00

    Yes but this is aggravating to have to reboot everytime your connecting a new monitor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-09T20:51:32+00:00

    My 2nd monitor is connected to an external brick / MS Surface interface. It supplies power to the Laptop, connects the 2nd display and has various ports and plug-ins on it. Simply disconnecting it from the laptop and reconnecting worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-08T13:03:40+00:00

    No, it is not working still. I tried using regular USB to connect rather than USBC and it still didn’t work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments