Windows 11 cannot detect second monitor.

Anonymous
2023-06-16T20:50:49+00:00

I just purchased a new laptop that’s running Windows 11. I am trying to set up duel monitors. When I click ‘Detect’ I get ‘We didn’t find another display’.  I am using an HDMI cable to connect the second monitor to my laptop. Both screens work, but they are a mirror image. There’s no way showing to change that setting because the second monitor was not detected. No good.

I set up the second monitor on my main workstation that’s running Windows 10. No problem. Monitor was detected and set as ‘Extended’. Worked fine.

I reviewed everything I could find about this issue. I tried all the suggested fixes. Nothing worked. All available drivers are up to date, etc., etc.

Another thing I tried was hitting the Windows Key + P. That procedure did identify both monitors. In the settings it did show an option to detect the monitors. When I clicked ‘Detect’ it still came back with ‘We didn’t find another display’ I was able to changed the setting to ‘Extended’. I thought I had it working. However, all I get on the second monitor is the background screen, nothing else. No programs show up. I do get the toolbar. But when I click a toolbar link on the main monitor it activates on the second monitor. It’s a mess.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix?

Thank you for any assistance.

Glenn

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Reported
Anonymous
2024-12-21T00:49:25+00:00

I can say with full confidence that this might work for you. Definitely worked for me !

0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-13T10:27:15+00:00

    Looks like we finally have a solution, If you have problems with programs that need high graphics that is a good indicator of the same problem.

    In the BIOS settings under graphics configuration - advanced - display mode - change from dynamic to dgpu only.

    I think there's a glitch with windows automatically switching to external GPU or maybe it's the GPU, not sure but it works now for all software and multiple monitors.

    Hope that helps everyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-13T19:25:18+00:00

    I'm having the exact problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-28T12:09:19+00:00

    Great you found a solution and thanks for providing details.

    Our monitors don't have wi-fi, we still haven't found a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-28T03:36:17+00:00

    No, it’s not working for me. The most annoying part of this problem is that the solution varies for each person.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments