Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T17:22:16+00:00

    tried but not solution ...

    turning power savings off was ...

    check all settings just in case ...

    e.g. close lid, Hello not working

    did try rescanning ...

    only good reason ...

    so have multiple scans same finger so works ...

    as opposed to exact same position each time ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T17:08:05+00:00

    Jan S~L,

    Thank you for the reply. I totally agree. Do you mind me asking - did you ever try erasing all your fingerprints and redoing them - adding them back in? I was just curious if you or anyone had tried that and finding out if it did or didn't help? I figured there's no point trying it myself if someone already tried redoing their prints and the problem still persisted. I could try it, but who knows how long it would take to find out that my laptop still wasn't reliably secure.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T15:40:02+00:00

    Cage022

    Yes, it is VERY disconcerting about someone finding the laptop and powering it on and getting access to everything because the Fingerprint feature with Windows is NOT reliable and intermittently goes DIRECTLY to the desktop passing ALL SECURITY!

    This is why for the past 7 months I have been using the PIN only.

    Even considering that the Fingerprint might work, it's still not reliable, because even with saving multiple fingerprints on different fingers, it only takes two swipes and if not recognized goes to the PIN anyway. Obviously, Fingerprint technology, for at least the LG Gram laptop, is not something to run out and by this computer for.

    I've tried every trick proposed to solve this issue and innumerable hours doing so, all to no avail. I was lucky at one point and got the fingerprint to work six days in a row! On the 7th day, NOPE. I'm sticking with the PIN. It's the only way to know for sure that my laptop is always secure. Piece of mind. ;-)

    Jan S~L

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T22:07:37+00:00

    Mine was not working because it kept removing driver.

    beyond stupid ...

    kept power on always ...

    reinstalled BIO driver ...

    REM & reinstalled finger scans ...

    been working since ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T21:52:55+00:00

    I only meant that as an answer to how to turn off USB power mgmt for that device as was suggested by another user. As to if it helps, well, I guess not based on your feedback. The one thing that I think I've found is that the problem only shows on power up from a previously powered off state, sometimes. But restarting the laptop, which is mostly all I ever do, doesn't seem to have the problem. But i'm not sure on that either.

    It is quite disconcerting that if someone were to find my laptop powered off and powered it on, they might have access to everything on the laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments