Possible broken drive keeps crashing my pc, how do I fix this? Is it corrupted or physically broken?

Anonymous
2025-01-15T19:39:38+00:00

Hi, my pc has been giving me BSOD like 10 times a day for the past 10 or more days because of corrupted files or ram issues (I'm not sure), I tried checking for the drive integrity and this came out:

"Error Checking (Windows (C:)

Repair this drive

Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box, and then repair the drive."

So out of curiosity I tried doing the same to my other drive and came out with the same issue. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my PC? Do I have to buy a new drive? Or do I need to perform a fresh install of windows 11?

Bsod errors I've been getting:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

And other I can't remember now

They usually happen when I start my PC, and I'll get 5 or 10 of them one after the other before my PC starts working "properly"

After I manage I get through the bsod errors my PC seems to run just fine for some time before giving me more errors (usually 3-4 hours)

I can provide dump files if explained how to do so

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-01-20T13:18:53+00:00

Glad to help.

Best regards.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-01-17T17:12:28+00:00

    Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been offline.

    Yes. The system is installed on Disk 1.

    When you reach the step "Select location to install Windows 11", you must highlight each partition on Disk 1 in the list (Image at the end of the reply) and select "Delete Partition".
    When the the confirmation screen appears, select "OK".
    Do this for every partition of Disk 1 in the list except the one that says "Unallocated Space".
    After doing this with all the partitions, the "Disk 1 Unallocated Space" should remain.
    Then, select "Disk 1 Unallocated Space" and select "Next" to start the installation.

    Yes. In the "Select setup option" step, select "Install Windows 11" and select "Next".

    Deleting the partitions will already delete all files stored on the system drive, including user files. This will leave Disk 1 completely free for system installation.

    If you have files you want to recover in your user folder, use the procedure below. It will be more stable this way. Copy the files to an external device or another drive that will not be deleted during the clean install procedure.

    1. Start your computer using the installation media;
    2. Choose the language, select "Next", and press "Shift + F10" to open the Command Prompt;
    3. In Command Prompt, type the command below and press Enter.

    notepad

    1. Notepad will open. Click on "File" and select "Save As";
    2. A window will open that allows you to browse the files on your computer. Through this window, you can make a copy of your files.
      Note: There will be other partitions that are usually hidden in Windows. The system partition, which is usually (C:), should be (D:), and your files will be in the "Users" folder.

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T15:34:23+00:00

    ImageAlso, before this screen I had the option to install windows 11 or repair my PC, I clicked on install windows 11, is it the correct one?

    I also acknowledge that some disks lack free space for the download, does this clean install also delete my user from the PC? Because my user alone is like 30GB and if there's no point in saving it then I will delete it now and free up space

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T15:33:14+00:00

    Hi David, here are the pictures

    Microsoft community from mobile only lets me upload one per message, so I'm gonna reply to you with more pictures now, just mind that I think that the disk 1 partition 3 windows with 118gb was the disk my PC had windows 11 originally installed in

    My computer has two disk and a recovery (E:), windows was installed on Windows (C:) that had something like a little more than 100GB and I also have a disk (D:) that I only used for videogames related stuff

    I'd appreciate if you could name me the disks I'm supposed to remove and the one I'm supposed to use

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments