Possible broken drive keeps crashing my pc, how do I fix this? Is it corrupted or physically broken?

Anonymous
2025-01-15T19:39:38+00:00

Hi, my pc has been giving me BSOD like 10 times a day for the past 10 or more days because of corrupted files or ram issues (I'm not sure), I tried checking for the drive integrity and this came out:

"Error Checking (Windows (C:)

Repair this drive

Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box, and then repair the drive."

So out of curiosity I tried doing the same to my other drive and came out with the same issue. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my PC? Do I have to buy a new drive? Or do I need to perform a fresh install of windows 11?

Bsod errors I've been getting:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

And other I can't remember now

They usually happen when I start my PC, and I'll get 5 or 10 of them one after the other before my PC starts working "properly"

After I manage I get through the bsod errors my PC seems to run just fine for some time before giving me more errors (usually 3-4 hours)

I can provide dump files if explained how to do so

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-01-20T13:18:53+00:00

Glad to help.

Best regards.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T13:15:16+00:00

    Hi David, thank you for the reply, luckily I managed to fix it myself yesterday night.

    But still, thank you for all the help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-01-20T12:08:30+00:00

    Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been offline.

    Thanks for the screenshots.

    Were you able to get Drive (D:) to appear in File Explorer?

    If not, see below.

    In your first screenshot, I see that Drive (D:) is not formatted. That's why it doesn't show up in File Explorer. The Drive (D:) is the Disk 0.

    Do the following:

    1. Right-click on the unallocated space (highlighted in the image below) and select "New Simple Volume";
    2. On the "Welcome to New Simple Volume Wizard" window, select "Next";
    3. In the "Specify volume size" window, the "Simple volume size" should be at the maximum size. Select "Next";
    4. Select a drive letter for the new partition by "Assign the following drive letter" and select "Next";
    5. In the "Format partition" window, select "Format this volume with the following settings". Using default settings will format the drive properly. You can type any name you want for this volume in "Volume label". Select "Next";
    6. A summary will be displayed with all parameters chosen to create the volume. Select "Finish".

    After doing this, the drive will be formatted and you will be able to access it from the File Explorer.

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-19T13:33:41+00:00

    ImageHi David, here's the picture

    also adding these two pictures, both device manager and Seagate drive detector can see my drive, my pc says it's functional but it just won't appear anywhereImageImagenevermind i fixed it, but still thank you David

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-01-19T12:35:45+00:00

    Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been offline.

    I'm glad you found the cause of the issue.

    I thought it was strange that RAM was causing the behaviors I saw. Usually, when the problem is RAM, the behaviors are different. Thanks for letting me know.

    "About the issue of the drive (D:)"

    It's probably not formatted. That's why it looks like it's gone.

    Please share a screenshot of "Disk Management" so that I can understand how it is currently configured.

    • Press "Windows + X" and select "Disk Management";

    Maximize the window and use the shortcut "Windows + Shift + S" to use the screenshot tool.

    I await your reply. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments