Sorry, but I could not get the MemTest86 to run.
Screen Freeze Loud Buzzing BSOD
This has become very annoying. If I am watching a movie or sports broadcast on my Windows 11 laptop, sometimes I get a screen freeze, loud buzzing noise and BSOD. It says you are analyzing the issue and will restart. That never happens. The progress shows 0%. There is not minidump. My maintenance is current, and so are my drivers to the best of my knowledge.
Please provide a solution to this annoying issue that actually works. I have already tried all the standard suggestions to no avail, and I need a resolution that really fixes this issue.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2025-04-30T13:47:34+00:00 -
David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor2025-04-30T13:21:46+00:00 Thanks for the screenshot.
Crystal Disk Info did not detect problems on your SSD.
I await the results of the MemTest86 test. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.
Feel free to ask back any questions.
-
David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor2025-04-30T12:13:56+00:00 Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been offline.
In this case, I have 2 suspicions about the cause of this problem.
- A severe corruption of Windows.
- A hardware problem.
It is possible to test some parts of the hardware using software, but unfortunately, not all of them.
I suggest you check the "health" of your HD/SSD using Crystal Disk Info.
https://crystalmark.info/en/download/#CrystalDi...
(On this same page, there is the download of another app. The "Crystal Disk Mark". Do not download Crystal Disk Mark. Download only the "Crystal Disk Info".)
Download the "Standard Edition" by clicking on the "ZIP (XP-)" button.
Extract the ZIP and run the file "DiskInfo64.exe".
The health result of your HD/SSD will be displayed. See if there are any alerts.
Feel free to share a screenshot if you want. Use the shortcut "Windows + Shift + S" to use the screenshot tool.
Also, use the free MemTest86 tool for a deep check of your RAM.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
The deep scan can take a long time, depending on how much RAM you have. So do it at a time that suits you.
Feel free to share a photo of the test result.
I will leave a more detailed explanation about MemTest86:
An external storage device is required to use MemTest86. The documentation provided on the same page that I suggested for downloading the tool has instructions for using it. I will leave it detailed below to make it easier to find the instructions.
Access the MemTest86 User Guide at the link below.
https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/MemTest86_U...
- Go to page 6 and see under "2.1 Boot-disk Creation in Windows" instructions for creating the USB with MemTest86.
(Make a backup of the files stored on the USB Flash Drive that will be used in the procedure.)
- With the USB created, go to page 14, under "2.5.1 Booting MemTest86 via USB", for instructions to boot the PC using MemTest86 on USB.
Once the MemTest86 home screen is displayed, the test starts automatically after a few seconds.
Let me know the result. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.
Feel free to ask back any questions.
________________________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.
-
Anonymous
2025-04-30T03:30:41+00:00 Well David, it took a couple of days, but the dreaded BSOD popped up again. I hope you aren't out suggestions. Any idea what we can try next?
Thanks Again