The same thing happened to me, but I found a way around it. When you click on the post and the screen goes black hit the refresh button; the photo post will enlarge, and you can access the post like before. I couldn't figure out what the problem and it was so frustrating. I tried everything then hit the refresh button and boom I had the post brought up. I hope this helps and works for you as well. Have a nice day!
Why when I click an Instagram post photo, the computer screen goes dark transparent gray with an X at the top right. ?
I think that my clicking on an Instagram post photo is supposed to enlarge the photo post on the the left side and show the comments section with "insights" link on the right side. This is what happens when I look at other users' posts.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2025-04-15T12:25:08+00:00 Thank you, Courtney. Hitting the refresh button works for me also. But I am still wondering about the source of this failure.
-
Anonymous
2025-05-16T13:11:52+00:00 Thank you very much! I had spent weeks not knowing how to do this.
Phil
-
Anonymous
2025-04-25T15:28:55+00:00 I am really anxious for a solution, so did the deletion of temporary files (all those already checked). The process took a long time--and made no difference. When I click on my posts, all are still grayed out. I am using Windows 10.
-
Anonymous
2025-04-25T13:19:47+00:00 Thanks for the refresh idea. Of course it works only when the user opens Instagram in a browser, not with using the Instagram app (where there is no refresh button). For me the graying out occurs only I access my own Instagram account, not when I go to any other feed. Is this true for others? If so, it makes the situation even more odd. The problem is very annoying, but even worse if the graying out is happening for other visitors to my (business) site.